Questions on AT Pro

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cam locks go on the shaft there should be two one below the head unit one at the bottom to keep it stable if yours dont have them then you need to get it updated cam-lock.jpg

Last edited:

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing is I really love my AT Pro, but it does it in salt water no matter how much I turn down the sens or the ground balance, it doesnt do it alot all the time but recently it was annoying but it was also ruff seas, im going to buy a water machine now cause of it but im not going to sell my AT Pro its gonna be my land machine, I guess if im out with it and I come across water i'll use it cause I know it and it can do the job, but if im planning on jumping in the salt im gonna get a water machine just havent made my mind up yet on which one, but if you think that something is wrong with it garrett customer service is second to none they are the best and will do you right

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
some of the earlier at pro's would false alot thats why they added the cam locks and updated the machine if yours is older then it might need to be updated if it is then something else is wrong and i would send it in dont be afraid to use that two year warranty garrets customer service is great

sonofadigger you sonofagun, cam locks were not added to prevent falsing on the pro, and cam locks are not needed to prevent falsing on a pro. I dont have cam locks on my old pro and my old pro does not false, even if bumped a bit. Cam locks were added due to public demand as seen on the forums back in the day. Some people just gotta have their beloved camlocks. Whatever. I dont really care for them, too much to fumble with when I want to change length. The old problems with the pro (falsing and odd behavior) were due to a flaw in the electronics. To my knowledge, Garrett never publicized the cause of the troubles on the few bad ones released. I just wanted to clear that up a bit. Regards, gleaner.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes very similar to descriptions in that thread, although I have not tried that same test, as others have pointed out, floating the coil in the air in a house is not a good test. Basically for me, 1) when I hit things, even with sensitivity tuned down a bit (3 bars tuned down), it falses. 2) when i try to pinpoint I find it goes bananas some time, similar to what happens to this guy when he tries to pinpoint with the AT Pro:

Anyone have that issue with pinpointing?
Your AT pro is defective...my AT would have locked on that 4 inch nickel with a solid 52...that 1 inch zincoln woud have been a 76 all day long...a 2 inch dime reads 81 and a 7 inch dime reads 81...your AT is a joke, send it to Garrett and when you get it back you wont beleive the difference. It wont be as good as an E Trac, but it will be closer than you think.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
sonofadigger you sonofagun, cam locks were not added to prevent falsing on the pro, and cam locks are not needed to prevent falsing on a pro. I dont have cam locks on my old pro and my old pro does not false, even if bumped a bit. Cam locks were added due to public demand as seen on the forums back in the day. Some people just gotta have their beloved camlocks. Whatever. I dont really care for them, too much to fumble with when I want to change length. The old problems with the pro (falsing and odd behavior) were due to a flaw in the electronics. To my knowledge, Garrett never publicized the cause of the troubles on the few bad ones released. I just wanted to clear that up a bit. Regards, gleaner.

Sorry I didnt mean they added cam locks to stop it from falsing it was ment to stabilize it some said it was wobbly thats why I said they also updated it electronic wise I should have worded that better

mpro1

Feb 22, 2008
Long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
At Pro
Ace
The thing is I really love my AT Pro, but it does it in salt water no matter how much I turn down the sens or the ground balance, it doesnt do it alot all the time but recently it was annoying but it was also ruff seas, im going to buy a water machine now cause of it but im not going to sell my AT Pro its gonna be my land machine, I guess if im out with it and I come across water i'll use it cause I know it and it can do the job, but if im planning on jumping in the salt im gonna get a water machine just havent made my mind up yet on which one, but if you think that something is wrong with it garrett customer service is second to none they are the best and will do you right

I am gonna do the same. Keep The AT Pro as a land machine I think it works well for that. Looking at the Whites PI Pro Dual Field for a dig everything water machine.

poptop

Jun 6, 2012
ruskin fl
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, minelab excal 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am gonna do the same. Keep The AT Pro as a land machine I think it works well for that. Looking at the Whites PI Pro Dual Field for a dig everything water machine.

Im looking on ebay for my water machineand their are some pi 's on their and they got me thinking about one as well but im also spoiled from my at pro being able to discriminatethe junk, I had a seahunter which was an awesome machine I thought but I got tired of diging everything

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cam locks go on the shaft there should be two one below the head unit one at the bottom to keep it stable if yours dont have them then you need to get it updated View attachment 643396

I just ordered the shaft from kellyco........not sure if there are other updates besides the shaft I should be concerned about

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am familiar with the scratchy signals in the Disc mode. Typically these are foil if you check the target ID. If not foil then switch to All Metal and whatever it is will give a clean signal.

Many times bottlecaps are the culprit in the higher number target ID. They show up on iron audio 99% of the time.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered the shaft from kellyco........not sure if there are other updates besides the shaft I should be concerned about
I hope they didn't charge you for it.
Garrett has a 2 year warranty with the At's and is known for honoring it above and beyond.

I hear of people on the forum that call Garrett and they get the whole machine updated for free.

I think there was also problems with the programming or board inside and an issue with the waterproofness on the machines that came out last year which is basically the ones without the cam locks on the shaft.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me on the original AT's will post up the details on the above.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
There was never an issue with waterproof on atpro, and there has never been an upgrade to address leaking. The only upgrade was a new longer shaft assembly with camlocks, but you had to send the whole thing back so they could do a full factory testing and fixing of any problem, but you had to pay for it at a special low price (39 bucks I think?) but this all expired in December 2011. You cannot get a free shaft assembly. There was never any defect with the early shaft design, but it was not ergonomically very good, the upper shaft was too short. I never bothered with the shaft upgrade, my machine works flawlessly, plus I hate camlocks. I retrofitted a custom made upper shaft extender for mine as soon as I bought it. As far as anything free, the atpro has a two year warranty, so yes, there are people out there getting their machines fixed for free. But that is different than an upgrade. There is not now nor was there ever a free upgrade of anything on the atpro.

yellerstang

Jul 2, 2011
Northumberland County, PA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a note to those who use an ATPro and have some issues with pin pointing.... I have my machine for about a year now, I am comfortable with it, but I am still learning. It speaks its own language to the user, so its up to you to learn it.

When pinpointing a target and it blasts a very strong signal, push the pinpoint button quickly about 2 or 3 times, hold the button in, and then try pinpointing. You can detune this machine much like you can detune the Garret ProPointer. This will really help you find the target much faster.

I like the fact that I can move the coil very slowly and sometimes eliminate some chatter, thus pin pointing a target. And, sometimes its just a shot gun shell... I dig it anyway, because you never know whats there until you have it in your hand.

Yes, on occasion, my machine gives a high tone and no VDI reading. I dig these signals anyway. I have had them turn into readable VDI signals once some ground has been removed from the target area. As others have said.... listen more, read the VDI less. I think its good advice, I am training myself to do this and not rely on the VDI screen.

Yes, my machine will sound off if I bump the coil on something. But, so did my Tesoro...

I have been doing more hunting in Pro/Zero now, and its starting to pay off for me. In heavy iron areas, I switch back and forth to evaluate, then decide about digging or not digging.

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been between buying the at pro and the whites m6. I am about 99% on buying the atpro . but threads like this make me weary.
should i go with the whites machine ?

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cmbohio said:
I have been between buying the at pro and the whites m6. I am about 99% on buying the atpro . but threads like this make me weary.
should i go with the whites machine ?

I have had absolutely no problem with the at pro none whatsoever it works great

coinmaster

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know but ALOT of people i know use the at pro, and have sold there other detectors because the at pro finds so much. Everyone needs to remember the price of the detector For the money its the best detector out today hands down. Who would sell a 1000$ detector just to use one they bought for under 500$ Send it back has issues they will send yyou a new one.

coinmaster

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are u buying so many machines u sell the at pro? Im looking to buy one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread