Quick tip, A reserve on ebay cost $2.00 no matter what!!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a lot of experienced guys telling the starters to put a reserve on a item but they never mention that a reserve costs $2.00 no matter if it sells or not. So before putting a reserve on it make sure you put a decent one on there cause your paying that $2.00 anyways.

Any it will add up, if you rund 10 items with a reserve and you only sell one you still have 18 bucks of fees so there might go all your money from that one sale. Just be careful and click the little tabs next to a listing option. Good luck everyone.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its me, but I have seen most people suggest that you start the auction at what your reserve would be that way you dont have to pay the fee.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its me, but I have seen most people suggest that you start the auction at what your reserve would be that way you dont have to pay the fee.

Yeah, that was my take as well. If anything, I hear people say never use a reserve as they are a thing of the past or for certain listing types (cars, etc).

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. An "experienced seller" would never tell someone to use a reserve price on something. It just doesn't make sense. As a buyer too, I basically skip right by something if I see a reserve price on it.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember the last time I set a reserve. I have also noticed people seem avoid the actions with a reserve and it seems that the reserves are rarely met. I'm sure ebay loves reserve auctions.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm another one that shuns 'reserves' on items. I don't bid on items on Ebay as much as I used to do; but if I'm interested in an item and it has a reserve, I skip it. If a seller wants a certain minimum amount for an item, show a 'starting' bid. Actually the 'reserve' just seems ridiculous to me.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set a reserve -- for the first time in a long time -- on an item last week. I didn't get a single bid even when starting at about 25% of what I expected to get. But the worst part is now my item is a week stale. To the collectors scanning the category, it has that negative connotation of something that didn't sell the first time

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never bid on anything with a reserve either. I just don't like the idea that I could be the high bidder and not get the item.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I skip items with reserves too. As soon as I see that "reserve not met" notice by the price, I cruise to the next listing no matter how nice or low the item is. I'm that way with regular auctions too... if they are not absolute auctions and won't sell for opening bid, I lose interest and may leave. I can't stand it when I've bid a few times on an item and when I am the last bid, the auctioneer looks over at the seller and asks if he wants to let it go for that price or not. If he says no, I am outta there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread