fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For lack of a better title I used the word quirks. What I am curious about is, does anybody here have a superstition or ritual connected to your artifact hunting?
I know it may sound weird but if I pick up a piece I suspect may be an indian artifact and decide it isn't, I can't just drop it. I have to carry it to the edge of the field. Then I can toss it.
And, with metal detecting I always wish my hunting partners "Good Providence". And, if I detect by myself I imagine my brother wishing me the same.
Well, now you know I'm a crazy old f**t. Anybody else willing to admit the same?

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've had this discussion a few times and it's always fun to hear everyones quirks or superstitions.

The only ones I really have are:

1. I have to have my Arrowhead Bag with me. I don't feel right on a hunt without it.
2. I have to have my regular Arrowhead Hunting Stick. Once again I don't feel right without it.
3. And last, I always pick up and keep the first piece of flint I find in a field and keep it with me in my hand until I find a worked piece or an artifact of any kind then I toss it down.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
my wifes brother makes tobacco ties to place at the field for offerings to the spirits
(he is a Sisseton Sioux(lower brule')tribe)
the spirits always take them (sometimes in a couple weeks, sometimes several months,) but they always take them
i think the spirits come in the form of different birds

larson1951

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
SRV said:
We've had this discussion a few times and it's always fun to hear everyones quirks or superstitions.

The only ones I really have are:

1. I have to have my Arrowhead Bag with me. I don't feel right on a hunt without it.
2. I have to have my regular Arrowhead Hunting Stick. Once again I don't feel right without it.
3. And last, I always pick up and keep the first piece of flint I find in a field and keep it with me in my hand until I find a worked piece or an artifact of any kind then I toss it down.

I'm not alone.
Newt

wilycreek

Greenie
May 30, 2009
Bushwacker County MO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
How about this, I have 8 Antique jars full of flakes and pieces ( I went and counted). My brothers and wife think it odd to bring home flakes. But if I pick it up it usually goes in my pockets. Also I have found 2 arrowheads, a flint hoe, and a buffalo nickle, that I didn't realize were anything till I got them home and cleaned them (the arrowheads were small and very dirty, the hoe because I had never seen one before and the nik was encrusted). Another thing is, if I remove the flakes from the area then I don't waste time picking them up next hunt.

DemonCatSpaceStar

Jan 1, 2009
People of the South Wind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may not be a quirk (or it may ???) but when I field hunt any rocks that fool me I toss into the woods near by just so I don't go around picking them up all the time (& a little frustration at having been fooled :wink:) also I have to have my Camlebak with me.

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
I always have an 1890 penny with me that I found arrowhead hunting when I first started. Also me and my bud will say "If I dont find something in 5 minutes I'm outta here." out loud so all can hear. For some reason that seems to work for whoever says it first. I also pick up flakes. No quartz usally jasper and rhyolite. I allways get a stick when I get there too.

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry my first flake around until I find a worked piece as well!
However, unlike most, I keep the rest of the flakes right where I found them.
I like to leave em there so when myself or anyone else hunts the field they are alarmed to the presence of flint.
Leaving the chips there tells you that you are in a spot.
I DO NOT MAKE PILES! I hate em. I wanna kick the guy who did(my dad).
I also leave "offerings" behind. I only started doing this recently. Not sure yet if it helps.
I also have a lucky screwdriver that I plan on replacing as soon as I get my lucky stick done.
Good topic.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to have my favorite flipping stick. I have had it for over 30 years and one day saw it in the mirrors fly out of the boat into the freeway. I drove 20 miles to an exit turned around went back turned around again and came back till I found it smack in the middle of the road. It has found and touched more flint than I ever will . Climbed mtns kept me balanced and anchored in dangerous spots dispatched or flipped poisonus snakes quickly with out thought from underfoot. Beat away spider webs in late summer and cleared trails.
It's just a short gold looking ski pole with a tiny confederate flag at the top. But she has lots of power in her.
:tongue3:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
jonzer, the offerings will most likely help, they sure seem like it to me

here is a walnut stick we made and tried out for the first time this morning
jonzer might like the slotted diamond and clover inlays since they are guitar fretboard inlays
here is a picture of the first find made with the stick which we found almost immediately since it was only 5 feet from the drivers door of my truck
lars

Attachments

• IMG_2621.jpg
    IMG_2621.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2614.jpg
    IMG_2614.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_2612.jpg
    IMG_2612.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_2613.jpg
    IMG_2613.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 406

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lars, That is one sweet stick!
You are correct, I love the fretboard inlays!
Now I need one.
Got any you want to sell or trade?
It's gotta have special powers.
(wagging my tail)

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jonzer, I hate to see the flint piles too. It not only tells you that someone has beat me to the spot, it also tells me that this particular hunter is probably checking every piece he sees and most likely won't miss as much. On the plus side though, I have found some killer Scrapers and Flake Tools in their waste piles that people don't recognize and throw away.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I won't pee in an area I'm hunting. I'll walk to the edge of the field. Seems 'inappropriate' to do so where you're hunting. Probably inappropriate to bring up as well but since I started I always figured it would be back luck, don't know why....

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i was hoping to see this thread have a lot more reply posts than it is getting
I will ask now that you post your good luck methods of surface hunting
now please don't be bashful

steve

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
please refer to my post #14
there has to be many members of the T'Net that would be interested as to how all the good members find the good artifacts that get posted here are found
I believe in spending lots of time in key places has most to do w/it but other factors could possibly give an edge to this:
I for one believe other factors are involved
how about targe's methods
the respect that twitch gives to the land he walks on
and just the simple fact in believing that your stick or hunting tool has a special power
in addition to these thoughts ;
fyrfytr, srv, newt, wily, jonzer, TzMountains, bsit, and demoncat, have regarding these things
this could be interesting if we encourage others to participate a little more
larson1951
PS. here is another lucky stick i made that may bring luck to the future tail waggin' user

Attachments

• IMG_2675.jpg
    IMG_2675.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2677.jpg
    IMG_2677.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2678.jpg
    IMG_2678.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_2679.jpg
    IMG_2679.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 263

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A redtail hawk flies on my artifact grounds. And soon as I get there it always screams. And I have noticed that the more he screeches after the first--the less I find. Last weekend it screeched for five minutes. I found nothing.

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
I always simply say a prayer. It might seem silly to pray about finding an artifact but my belief is that God is glad at answering our prayers so long as we give him thanks. Everytime I find an artifact I give him thanks, when I spend hours and don't find one then I believe he is building my patience.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if I get skunked I still thank God for the opportunity to get out and look. I also thank him for being able to still walk the fields after almost 60 years on his earth.

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Lars, that stick is awesome. I can actually see the special powers.

I always look to the heaven an ask the Great Spirit to guide my eyes.
I never pee or leave trash in the field.
I always thank the Great Spirit when I find something.
Lately, I have been burying tobacco in the fields.

I love this topic.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
larson1951 said:
i was hoping to see this thread have a lot more reply posts than it is getting
I will ask now that you post your good luck methods of surface hunting
now please don't be bashful

steve

I've always had "good luck" by sharing my sites with others.
Newt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread