Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the opportunity to detect one of the "once" better fields and did well. Because of the heavy rain we had the fields are washed and you can pick loads of pottery and other stuff you rarely get typically.

The usual WWII stuff
35301837ry.jpg

Lead
35301838oc.jpg

Some of the roman pottery i picked today
35301839xi.jpg

Group shot of todays finds laying on a large fragment of a roman roof tile
35301840fw.jpg

Roman finds with two Fibula and one Fibula pin, coins, amphora/bottle plug
35301845gl.jpg

Closeup of the two better coins
35301847hf.jpg

35301849ws.jpg

Other finds with an interesting clay loom weight i can't date
35301850pi.jpg

35301853wp.jpg

35301854ah.jpg

And the find of the day, an undamaged neolithic adze, dating to 4500-4000BC.
35301842vj.jpg

35301843uv.jpg

35301844yt.jpg

Here are some examples from the museum in front of the flint scythe.
35301950xh.jpg

source Wikipedia

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 37
OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm late to the party again Lu. THAT was a happy hunt,huh? I see you scored yet another silver coin and noticed how well the Roman coins turned out. Were they deep or just a field short on fertilizer?
I understand how rare those adz's coming out whole are, even here. Good luck.

This field had two deep ploughs in the last years, Tim. The first made this site come to life again and the second some weeks ago helped again. These coins were fresh on top for sure. Most i show here have a coat antique wax to look better on the pics, these are straight from the sink. Just clear water and a brush.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Lu that adz is quite the find. Also looks like it took a few plow licks but stayed together. A testament to quality

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for sharing your awesome finds. I love seeing so much history. Amazing being able to look over a field and know men fought and died numerous times over it for centuries.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lu that adz is quite the find. Also looks like it took a few plow licks but stayed together. A testament to quality

These type is always made of rock. Rock seems to take a beating better than flint. Found a broken flint axe today. Never had a large flint artefact unbroken from a field.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those finds are amazing, congrats! I particularly like the adze.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks for sharing those awesome finds. Those coins are in great shape. I’d be busy looking for or making a nice red velvet lined display case with a lock for those pieces. Congratulations.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your awesome finds. I love seeing so much history. Amazing being able to look over a field and know men fought and died numerous times over it for centuries.

That's really a part of the game you often forget. It's not the finds. It's the history you hold in your hands.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks for sharing those awesome finds. Those coins are in great shape. I’d be busy looking for or making a nice red velvet lined display case with a lock for those pieces. Congratulations.

Thanks! Our lock is a Rottweiler. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update!
Talked today to my archie and she fell almost over about the damaged and worn fibula in the pic.

35301845gl.jpg

She's writing an essay about the local celtic populating and they have a white spot to fill with the time just before romans occupied the land. This fibula is one of 5 or 6 recorded items ever found here. I'm glad i could help! :tongue3:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If really must be something hunting sites where the finds cover that many years. It’s difficult for me to find a site that spans 2-300 years. Congrats on such a nice find. I’m always so impressed with the condition of coins with such age.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely incredible thats like hunting down a burnt down museum site wow if I just found one of those coins I would build a log cabin on the site and hunt morning till night Great finds. Thanks for sharing them with us. wowza Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread