Randy Clarkson Rod Mill papers?

Lookinghard

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The links elsewhere on this site to Randy Clarksons Rod Mill paper(s) : "grinding for gold", "Grinding for Gold Presentation ", "Grinding for Gold - Report" are missing from the geology.gov.yk.ca pdf resources.

Anyone still have that or those files? $700,000 in grants were given to produce those reports and they should be available to the public as Randy mentioned in many news reports that they would be.
I do have a 5 page color brochure of a 8" mini-rod mill. Just enough for a taste. No details.

Thanks

Upvote 0

lbd

Oct 4, 2017
NZ and Laos
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Funny you should post this today... I have just been asked to build a second rod mill for our lab (at a mine site)

We already have an 8L MARC mill in service and we have a used barrel so it is just a matter of making the stand and drive unit.. and guards.

May post a photo of the finished unit if I remember

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found a University of British Columbia masters thesis submitted by Gavin Clarkson whom I assume is Randy's son. It has all or most of the particulars that the written presentation given by Randy had in it. There is enough info given (and a formula for drum rotation speed, etc.) to build one as used in testing or to scale to different sizes. Google: "Extracting gold from gravity concentrates using grinding and sieving." That thesis was the first thing to appear in my search and is from the open.library.ubc.ca. The whole thesis is interesting but begin about page 32 for info about the rod mill.

Last edited:

lbd

Oct 4, 2017
NZ and Laos
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rod mill

As mentioned in an earlier post... here is the rendered drawing that our young autocad shining star has drawn up for our new small rod mill... 2.5Gallon drum... we will start building next week...

It still requires guards etc but this is the worst of it.

Attachments

• ROD MILL RENDERED.jpg
    ROD MILL RENDERED.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 119

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For a small rod mill why not direct drive it with a DC motor and eliminate all that machinery? Seems far cheaper and more reliable to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread