diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one of yesterdays many finds. Stands about 11 3/4" tall, made of chalkware I believe.
Need to see another one to compare condition. These pieces are made with damages already on them sometimes. Replicating the original. I can't even find the original. The partial label on the bottom says "Authentic copies made from the o... (original?) museum of A... (Archaeology?) Boston M... (Mass.?) museum replica" or something to that affect.

Must be rare because I cannot find another example anywhere.

Can you find another?

I bow to you if you can, lol. :notworthy: Help!

IMG_5371 (573x1280) (2).jpg IMG_5373 (1280x1055).jpg
IMG_5375 (1280x721).jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
dig,
If the piece is from Alva Museum Replicas, Inc. it is a relatively modern piece since the name of this corporate entity was first filed on February 8, 1984 according to public records file with the NY Dept. of State. The company is no longer active.
Don........

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig,
If the piece is from Alva Museum Replicas, Inc. it is a relatively modern piece since the name of this corporate entity was first filed on February 8, 1984 according to public records file with the NY Dept. of State. The company is no longer active.
Don........
Relatively modern yes, but not 1980's. This company has been in business since way before 1984. They have copyrights dating back to the 1950's. They had a catalog in 1957. https://books.google.com/books?id=P...ved=0ahUKEwimnLS_5ZTbAhXkw1kKHRQSB20Q6AEIKTAA

The labels tell the piece is a replica of and what museum the original is in.
Examples...

antique_1955_egyptian_pharaoh_louvre_paris_alva_studios_museum_repro_sculpture_1_lgw.jpg
19501092_7_x.jpg

Alva Museum Replicas History (1948 – 1990): Replicas were designed by Alva Studios, operated by Alfred Wolkenberg. Alfred was born in Vienna in 1911 and immigrated to the US in 1939. In 1948 he founded Alva Studios of Long Island City, NY. He had many artists and designers who were commissioned to produce reproductions of ancient jewelry and sculpture. All the pieces were marked Alva Museum Replicas and sold at museums worldwide.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
dig,
I looked at the title of your first post ("Rare Alva Studios Museum Replica Piece. Need Help") and researched Alva Museum Replicas, Inc--my first post. The reference you gave in your second post, Alva Studios, Inc. is another company. I agree Alva Studios, Inc. was an earlier company but differentiated from the post I first submitted.
Don.......

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
90% Silver half dollar goes to the first person to find another example of this statue made by Alva Studios. Maybe I'll post it on the What is it thread too for more exposure.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this helps, but the original is in the museum of fine arts - it’s a ushabti aka shawabti of King Aspelta.

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this same thing on an ebay sale but I can't post the link until the moderators oks the post and that has been several hours ago. I don't understand. Can someone explain?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relatively modern yes, but not 1980's. This company has been in business since way before 1984. They have copyrights dating back to the 1950's. They had a catalog in 1957. https://books.google.com/books?id=P...ved=0ahUKEwimnLS_5ZTbAhXkw1kKHRQSB20Q6AEIKTAA

The labels tell the piece is a replica of and what museum the original is in.
Examples...

antique_1955_egyptian_pharaoh_louvre_paris_alva_studios_museum_repro_sculpture_1_lgw.jpg
19501092_7_x.jpg

Alva Museum Replicas History (1948 – 1990): Replicas were designed by Alva Studios, operated by Alfred Wolkenberg. Alfred was born in Vienna in 1911 and immigrated to the US in 1939. In 1948 he founded Alva Studios of Long Island City, NY. He had many artists and designers who were commissioned to produce reproductions of ancient jewelry and sculpture. All the pieces were marked Alva Museum Replicas and sold at museums worldwide.

I sent you a PM.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this same thing on an ebay sale but I can't post the link until the moderators oks the post and that has been several hours ago. I don't understand. Can someone explain?

The Server is set to Catch Spammers posting Links.
Unfortunately it is not Fool Proof

Gilty

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2021
Another one of yesterdays many finds. Stands about 11 3/4" tall, made of chalkware I believe.
Need to see another one to compare condition. These pieces are made with damages already on them sometimes. Replicating the original. I can't even find the original. The partial label on the bottom says "Authentic copies made from the o... (original?) museum of A... (Archaeology?) Boston M... (Mass.?) museum replica" or something to that affect.

Must be rare because I cannot find another example anywhere.

Can you find another?

I bow to you if you can, lol. :notworthy: Help!

View attachment 1592434 View attachment 1592435
View attachment 1592437

Yes, this is a MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS BOSTON EGYPTIAN STATUE PHARAOH KING LIMESTONE ALVA REPLICA.

It was made by the Alva Museum replicas Inc in New York or possibly the Art Delux Company in Queens NY, depending on the year it was made. Here's the informaiton about the artist: Lado V. Goudjabidze
Biography

Lado Goudjabidze was born in the Republic of Georgia in 1945. He graduated from the College of Visual Arts in Tbilisi Georgia in 1965. He hosted the USSR's Georgian Contemporary Art television show in 1972. After a year of military service, Lado and his family , Shake and six year old Marina immigrated to the United States in 1976.

Lado started his career in the U. S. as an art director and production manager for Alva Museum Replicas Inc. in New York. By 1980, he was representing the New York Times Restoration Group to the Hermitage in the USSR, and in that same year, he and his wife extended their family with the birth of their second child, Iris.

In 1982, Lado brought his artist's senses and years of experience together in his own sculpture reproduction company, Art Deluxe Co.,Inc in Queens, New York.
The company has produced over a million quality sculptures worldwide.
With the start of his own company, Lado could create his own pieces, and also do commission work with complete facilities to faithfully reproduce any sculpture from miniature to monumental in any media to distribute nationally and internationally.
He has achieved considerable success and endless acclaim for the remarkable quality of his work. Worldwide recognition was achieved for his "Mother and Child" sculpture which is presently being marketed in a "special edition" limited edition.

Among some of his commissions, are the following:

10 Monumental Murals "LENIN" Tbilisi, Georgia
Exteriors and Interiors for Airport Central Complex Buildings, Orenburg, USSR
"Georgian Culture" Exhibition section at Moskow Art Expo in Moscow, USSR
Scale reduction of HEISMAN TROPHY AWARD
Created/Sculpted INTERNATIONAL HUMANITARIAN AWARD Los Angeles
Nine foot bronze sculpture "MUSE" Trammel Crow Inc, Chicago, IL
Sixty original sculptures createdfor exclusive reproduction by Art Deluxe Co.
Samantha Smith bust for an International Presentation at the Kremlin Moscow
Life size statue of "Mother Teresa" Sherborn, MA
Bust of Oscar Romero, El Salvador
Sculpted award for Sony Music Production, New York, NY
Created the "Courage and Conscience" Award Sherborn, MA
Nine foot "Mahatma Ghandi" statue for PACIFIST MEMORIAL
Series of Busts of actors for the CIRCLE in the Square Theatre, New York City
Bust of John F. Kennedy for the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.
Bust of Robert Kennedy for the Robert Kennedy Foundation, Boston, MA
"PETA" Award for People for Ethical Treatment of Animals, VA
"Sanction for Non-Violence", United Nations, New York, NY
"MUHAMMAD ALI" Bust for Peace Abbey, Sherborn, MA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread