Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Long time, no post...
I went out for a short time today to a site I have hit pretty hard. I changed coils out and used my NEL DD Booster coil. (huge)
I didn't find much, but just before I left, I hit this signal about 12 inches down. It turns out to be a rare presidential election token or fob, it has a small loop on the top of it.
Its for the 1868 Election, which would have been US Grant and his VP Schuyler Colfax or Horatio Seymour and his VP Francis Blair.
I can't tell which because as you can see, this thing is toasted in the middle which is VERY thin, it's shiny because I had to add a stabilizer - the middle would have been a Ferrotype picture, a type of Tintype photograph! The whole thing is about an inch across.

1868 PresFOB reverse.jpg1868 PresFOB obverse.jpg

I found an example online which told me what this thing really was:

1868 FERROTYPE.jpg
S.P. Chase didn't make it past the primaries. I have found other election fobs from different years but this my first Tintype. Too bad it doesn't hold up underground..
You never know what you're gonna find!

Upvote 13
Very cool find.
I found one just like it except my was from 1864..
No pic inside either. .
If i can find it ill post a pic if its ok?
George

Opps i was wrong, it was 1876..

Attachments

• 1435276276561.jpg
    1435276276561.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 1435276305415.jpg
    1435276305415.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 87
Never seen one of those Chris - cool find!!

Opps i was wrong, it was 1876..

I couldn't find one just like mine online, most had the guys name on it, then, Daggone Vino, its exactly the same! Cool. Just think, if it had been 1864 it might have been Lincoln, worth quite a bit if it had a picture..
I thought it was just another token, so I'm tickled. WTG for you too. HH!

Never seen one of those Chris - cool find!!

Thanks Bill, I was in a spot that I found a bit of colonial up to about the early 1900's so I was hoping for something older, but it's so unusual, I'm pretty happy. Haven't been out much either, so it's good to find something! LOL & HH!

Hey Vino, here's the 1860 Lincoln I found online, very similar, most online didn't have loops, they were drilled:

Lincoln Ferrotype.jpg

Wow..
Can you imagine if we found that one???
I never posted mine.
It was over a year ago when i first started detecting. .
Thanks for posting urs..
Thats the only other one i ever seen posted..
We might be in a club all be are selves???? Lol.

ESM IF I FOUND ONE OF THESE WITH OBAMMMA ON IT AND PUT IT BACK IN THE GROUND..................................REALLY NEAT FIND YOU GOT THERE.

Last edited:
that's really cool!, I love stuff like this, I once found an abe lincoln "union" campaign theme stick pin

can you imagine if he pic was intact, wow that would be sweet!

very cool, congrats!

Nice find even if its in rough shape. At least you could identify it.

ESM I FOUND ONE OF THESE WITH OBAMMMA ON IT AND PUT IT BACK IN THE GROUND..................................REALLY NEAT FIND YOU GOT THERE.

LOL !

that's really cool!, I love stuff like this, I once found an abe lincoln "union" campaign theme stick pin can you imagine if he pic was intact, wow that would be sweet! very cool, congrats!

Oh man! anything with Abe on it would be sweet, pic or no. I'll settle for a "maybe" Grant for now..

Nice digs.

Thanks! I was glad to find it.

Nice find even if its in rough shape. At least you could identify it.

That's the way I felt. I never would have thought about a tintype inside, I first thought it must have been like a small coin stamped, but made of iron and just rusted..
I was surprised to find what it really was.

That's a really cool piece of history you found-congrats!

Nice find! Too bad the middle deteriorated so bad.

Very nice find ESM! Glad to see you posting. GL&HH!

That's a really cool piece of history you found-congrats!

Thanks DND.

Nice find! Too bad the middle deteriorated so bad.

I know, but I really wouldn't expect a tintype to hold up very well in the ground. I'm really surprised there's any metal left in the middle at all! But when I pulled it up, I rubbed it, expecting it to be like one of those penny holders, and it began to crack! I should have known better.. Oops! lol

Very nice find ESM! Glad to see you posting. GL&HH!

Thanks Tom, I have been watching Tnet during my work hours mostly, but this is a busy time for me, Grandkids out of school ( I have them alot ) and other such stuff. But frankly, lately when I have had a chance to hunt, I haven't been doing very well, in a SLUMP.. yuck.
I did have a funny find tho. Went to my in-laws in RI. last month and was looking forward to some old stuff from up north. I didn't find much earlier than 1920's. Then, I dug and saw a HUGE coin, edge on.
It had nice little grooves on the edge, I KNEW I had found my first silver dollar... It was a dollar! Yay! Then I saw it, a 1972 Eisenhower! Arrrgh. I mean I'm happy it's a dollar, and my first, but post 64 ?
S L U M P. Have a better one Tom.. & HH! LOL
Chris

Wow, pretty Awesome find!!

Too bad that Eisenhower wasn't a Morgan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back