ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
rare canadian coin -- 1944 "newfoundland" cent

I seem to have ran across a rather rare coin --a 1944 "newfoundland" cent -- because of a backlog of orders during WW2 --it seems most of the newfoundland cents made by the ottawa mint in 1944 were "back logged ordered " cents dated 1943 to to catch up with the back logged orders -- thus very few 1944 dated coins were made in the royal canadain mint in ottawa --(they did not use the 1944 dies until the 1943 backlog was caught up -- late in the year) the the total of 1944 "newfoundland cents" made was a mere 255,840 -and the minting of cents was switched to a differant location beginning 1945 and 1945 dies were used once the switch took place - thus resulting in a rare / scare rare coin status --- prime grade ones trade for a $100 and up (on e bay) -- mine would be in about xf 40 shape ( still quite nice) but due to its rarity should still be highly collectible esp to a candain coin collecter seeking to round out his collection with a decent coin. what do you think?

Re: rare canadian coin -- 1944 "newfoundland" cent

ivan salis said:
I seem to have ran across a rather rare coin --a 1944 "newfoundland" cent -- because of a backlog of orders during WW2 --it seems most of the newfoundland cents made by the ottawa mint in 1944 were "back logged ordered " cents dated 1943 to to catch up with the back logged orders -- thus very few 1944 dated coins were made in the royal canadain mint in ottawa --(they did not use the 1944 dies until the 1943 backlog was caught up -- late in the year) the the total of 1944 "newfoundland cents" made was a mere 255,840 -and the minting of cents was switched to a differant location beginning 1945 and 1945 dies were used once the switch took place - thus resulting in a rare / scare rare coin status --- prime grade ones trade for a $100 and up (on e bay) -- mine would be in about xf 40 shape ( still quite nice) but due to its rarity should still be highly collectible esp to a candain coin collecter seeking to round out his collection with a decent coin. what do you think?

I'd agree with you ivan...but we may be in the minority..take a look at the dime in my avatar...it's a 1885 Newfoundland dime...mintage of approx. 8,000....with a value of maybe 60 dollars?...actually another member, MEinWV also owns one...I posted it on a Canadian coin forum and was told that apparently there is not a lot of interest in Newfoundland coins...still I would have expected a much higher value.. maybe due to such a low mintage for a "modern" coin....yours would have more appeal in the collector world...I'll be interested to see what other have to say...nice find...

Hi
I am a new member and a TH'er from Newfoundland. I have found many over 200 Newfoundland coins while detecting. Newfoundland coins were minted in very low quantities, however due to lack of interest in our currency they are of little value. For example there is a 1946 silver Newfoundland 5 cent silver coin similiar in size to US half dimes in which there was only 2,500 made. Yet, in VF condition is only worth about $1,000 if that much.

Also, Newfoundland has the distinction of being the only British colony to have an issue of gold currency. The $2 gold coin. They were minted in the late 1800's with low mintages but yet they are very undervalued compared to US coins with the same mintages.

Our coins were minted from 1865 to 1947 when we entered into confederation with Canada in 1949. We were an independant country until we joined Canada. Our coins included large cents, small cents, silver 5 cents, dimes, silver 20 cents, 25 cents and 50 cent pieces and of course the $2 dollar gold coin. The designs were similar to Canadian coins.

On a final note. I've found my share of indian head cents, mercury dimes, buffalo nichels, one barber dime, and 2 Walking libery half dollars. Newfoundland traded with the United States so that is why I am so lucky to find so many nice coins here.

Anyway. Love this site. So much great info here and finds are really impressive!!!
Bye for now!

The NewfieHunter

Welcome to Tnet Newfiehunter...and thanks for the Newfoundland coinage history...those are some great US coins finds...looking foward to seeing your finds from up north..

thanks for the info -- now the big question I have $15 in modern candain change got anything to trade for it? and want to swap something for the rare 44 newfie cent? --- a bottle of screeh perhaps ;) -- Ivan

Hi Ivan
Hey, thanks for the offer! Where did u find your 44 Newfoundland cent? Actually they are more common than what you think!! Ive found several. The flower on the coin is the pitcher plant which was chosen by Queen Victoria to be our national emblem.

During WW2 we had a close relationship with U.S. The U.S had several bases here because of our stragetic position in the Atlantic. Not too far from where I live there are the remains of where american soldiers had some 16 inch guns. But it is very isolated and difficult to get to. I talked to some old-timers and they told me live ammunition was buried there so it would also be dangerous to detect there.

Ivan, are you from Florida? Many Newfoundlanders go down there during spring break. It would be really nice to go down there and do some detecting especially now since the Canadian dollar is at par with the greenback. I was in St. Pete's once.

You must find some really nice things down there. Any Spanish cobs?

Anyway gotta run..

ivan salis said:

I also found a 1944 Newfoundland cent earlier this year. I was wondering what its mintage/value was. Interesting. Mine won't be worth as much though. It is in pretty good shape, but there is a small hole that has been put halfway through the coin around the kings crown. Oh well. Still only cost me 1 cent.

mines at least worth a $10 spot -- seems that the 1944 numbers reported actually were mainly "catch up" 1943 cents made in 1944 --the mint director wanted to clear up the back log form earlier (1943) since they were running a good bit behind ---and he decided that he would clear the "old orders from the books" before starting any of the new 1944 production thus getting a late start on minting the 1944 coins -- a lot of the coins reported "made" in 1944 were actually 1943 "dated" coins -- thus the actal numbers of 1944 newfoundland cents is actually much smaller than what its believed to be. in 1945 the location making the newfoundland cent was switched and the new mint director at the mint said its 1945 we will make 1945 dated cents --any "back logged cents owed will be paid off with 1945 pennies -- the late 1944 start to making 1944 pennies and the stop of making them in the new mint in favor of 1945 "dated" cents makes for quite a bit less 1944 newfouldland cents than most folks think --- the newfoundland coins being a lightly traded / collected item is what has left this information in the dark for many years ---had this been a america cent --the coins value would be quite high indeed --- Ivan

Date and Mint Mark Mintage of Newfoundland 1c
(the "C" designates Ottawa mint)

1938 500,000
1940 300,000
1941C 827,662
1942 1,996,889
1943C 1,239,732
1944C 1,328,776
1947C 313,772

During World War II, Newfoundland ("C") cents were manufactured in Ottawa rather than in England. This was done to avoid the risks of transatlantic shipping; most likely U-boat attacks. Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins, pp. 41-45, W.K. Cross, 60th Edition, 2006 is a good source for similar information.

I knew that mintage figures for the 5c and 10c were 'unofficial' in a couple of these years, though I don't recall reading about the 'unofficial' nature of the 1c.
Thanks for the info.
Don.......

yes the mint numbers for the 1 cent 1944 are "unoffical" numbers ---same as the 5 cent and 10 cent --- but the fact is little known due to the rather "small" market nature of the coins -- Ivan

Hi!
Regarding the Newfoundland small cents. I'm from here and found a total of 105 Newfoundland small cents. Out of this total 35 were the 1943s. Surprisingly, I've only found 6 of the 1944 cents. However the rarest of the Newfoundland small cents is the 1940 version. If you check out the Canadian coin book values, it is worth more than the other cents. I've only found 3 of the 1940 cents.

If the Newfoundland coins had the same demand as the US coins, your Newfie coins would be worth much more because of very low mintages. Our last coins were minted in 1947 because we entered into confederation with Canada 2 years later. Guess you can say the Newfoundland coin is now extinct.

Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Thanks for info Ivan....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back