Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the greatest things about my job is that I can put in my ear buds and listen to music all day. My preference is classic rock, and when possible I look for stuff to add to my collection to listen to. I found this April Wine cd in a 2nd hand store in mint condition. It seems to be a production error because when you play it in a computer or cd player that displays song titles, the titles are all off except for the first song. The second song shows as 'unknown' and then after that title 3 displays as title 2, 4 displays as 3, etc. etc.

I can't find any information on the net in regards to the error, so I wonder it's some rarity?

april wine.jpg

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember them !! awesome !!

Upvote 0

SkaBa

Jul 26, 2014
CenTex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably why it was in a 2nd Hand Store. Heat damage will cause them to act crazy. I've lost many a CD to the Texas sun.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jewelerguy

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably why it was in a 2nd Hand Store. Heat damage will cause them to act crazy. I've lost many a CD to the Texas sun.

possibly, but outside the fact that most of the disc displays the wrong title on a device that can display the information, it plays perfectly

Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After my computer man switched me to Windows 10, I had the same thing happen to an old Bee Gees CD I had. But the next time I put it in, it was ok. So I suspected my computer (or operator) error was the cause.

Upvote 0

osage express

Oct 22, 2012
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236-x2 --Whites TM808---Whites Bullseye 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ERROR PRESSING - Disc One is NOT April Wine. The label says it is, but it contains the album "Watch Out!" by ALEXISONFIRE
• There is no visible difference between this copy and a normal one....................Not sure if this will help but thought i would see if it is what you are after

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jewelerguy

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my computer man switched me to Windows 10, I had the same thing happen to an old Bee Gees CD I had. But the next time I put it in, it was ok. So I suspected my computer (or operator) error was the cause.

hmmm..... interesting.

ERROR PRESSING - Disc One is NOT April Wine. The label says it is, but it contains the album "Watch Out!" by ALEXISONFIRE
• There is no visible difference between this copy and a normal one....................Not sure if this will help but thought i would see if it is what you are after

this is a single disc cd, and contains no other music besides April Wine. I've listened to it all the way through as well as ripped it for my mp3 player for listening at work and have listened to it all the way through as well.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One possibility is that back then, record companies were tinkering with all sorts of weird (some would say, innovative) "pseudo-red-book-compliant" anti-copying techniques.
Basically, could they make the CD playable according to Standard, and yet still confuse the hell out of the more popular PC copy/clone programs.

My guess is you've got a CD that is (still) attempting to fool your modern-day PC, but your PC and audio gear have since "grown up" (technology-wise) and either aren't fooled, or are no longer inhibited by the anti-copy techniques employed. In other words, some tinkering that would have prevented copying in the past, now just shows up as jumbled tracks. (Keeping in mind that technically, the CD audio format doesn't use "tracks", as we're accustomed to thinking about them. It's just one big file.)

If you find a 2nd copy of this CD, and it does the exact same thing, I would definitely lean towards early digital rights management (DRM) as a likely explanation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jewelerguy

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jewelerguy

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One possibility is that back then, record companies were tinkering with all sorts of weird (some would say, innovative) "pseudo-red-book-compliant" anti-copying techniques.
Basically, could they make the CD playable according to Standard, and yet still confuse the hell out of the more popular PC copy/clone programs.

My guess is you've got a CD that is (still) attempting to fool your modern-day PC, but your PC and audio gear have since "grown up" (technology-wise) and either aren't fooled, or are no longer inhibited by the anti-copy techniques employed. In other words, some tinkering that would have prevented copying in the past, now just shows up as jumbled tracks. (Keeping in mind that technically, the CD audio format doesn't use "tracks", as we're accustomed to thinking about them. It's just one big file.)

If you find a 2nd copy of this CD, and it does the exact same thing, I would definitely lean towards early digital rights management (DRM) as a likely explanation.

very interesting diagnosis. you are probably right. I remember back in the day, when cd's first started coming available and I was trying to replace my cassette collection, I was completely fascinated at the technology behind cd's. It was an amazing transformation from magnetic tape.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread