What's new

Rare Louisiana finds.......rock hunter challenge!

G_Digger70

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
deming NM
I have some very rare and some unidentified specimens I found in Louisiana. I have found it quite hard to get some of it identified.but the specimens are spectacular.............and deserve full attention. any help would be appreciated , I'm hoping to sell, planning a hunt in the area very soon.lol
 

Attachments

  • IMG00004.webp
    IMG00004.webp
    47 KB · Views: 944
  • IMG00006.webp
    IMG00006.webp
    69.5 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG00007.webp
    IMG00007.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG00011.webp
    IMG00011.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG00012.webp
    IMG00012.webp
    65.8 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG00013.webp
    IMG00013.webp
    50.6 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG00039.webp
    IMG00039.webp
    50.3 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG00035.webp
    IMG00035.webp
    65.9 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG00014.webp
    IMG00014.webp
    65.9 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG00040.webp
    IMG00040.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 514
lol....ty Mickk I know this much......do you know any experts............have you ever seen specimens like this?
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to TNet G Digger. :icon_thumleft:
Nice petrified wood. And, I never want to be an expert.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
The wedge shaped piece looks like it may be palm wood, the Louisiana state fossil. The rest just look like common pieces.

Disclaimer, not an expert.

habs
 
Upvote 0
Afternoon,

Not an expert, but do live in Louisiana and have seen tons of petrified wood. Most of your pieces are pretty common in the circles. The piece that appears to have been cut with a stone saw is large and could have some nice slabs cut from it that could probably be polished nicely. The other pieces show some agatization and quartzite which will probably make them sparkle vividly in sunlight.

The small piece with the red and gold coloring might be palm wood, but I cant tell for certain. Petrified palm wood is very beautiful and comes in a variety of colors. If you cut it across the grain you get a leopard appearance, cut with the grain you get long striations of color. It is used quite often in jewelry and also by indians in arrowheads as it chips well.

I have also seen celts and other tools made from palm wood, though they are rare. You can google an image search and see some possibilities in palm wood. Here are a couple of points made from the golden palmwood that came from NW Louisiana. The third photo has the palm wood point on the left and a chert one on the right for comparison. The first broken piece shows the grain cross cut, the points are cut with the grain, notice the difference in the pores (grain) of the wood.

Hope that helps a little.

Atlantis
 

Attachments

  • palm.webp
    palm.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 463
  • palmwoodpt.webp
    palmwoodpt.webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 481
  • Aug14 016.webp
    Aug14 016.webp
    6.4 KB · Views: 778
  • Aug14 016.webp
    Aug14 016.webp
    6.4 KB · Views: 447
  • palmwoodpt.webp
    palmwoodpt.webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 400
  • palm.webp
    palm.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 400
Upvote 0
Nice looking pieces for sure G_Digger70 .
Those are Awesome points Atlantis0077!! I used to dream of finding a point like that.
 
Upvote 0
Lol I was just starting things off! They are so pretty, the colours and textures, theres money in those if you can find more.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom