What's new

Rare SC Navy and Scrpt A-a good LC hunt

Palmetto

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
324
Reaction score
548
Golden Thread
2
Location
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just returned from my annual LC hunt with my Dad and uncle. this site has been wonderful to us and I have deemed it my "field of Dreams" as I have personally dug some 400 buttons out of this general area-early 1700's through CW.
Two more fantastic buttons came out of the site this time around as I dug my first SC navy (1802-1808) double headed eagle style. As most are, it is in not-so great shape but I'll take it.
Next great find was the script A that I could tell was gilted-the BM however is what is so good as it is a rare, S & K (rivet'd and soldered). The Prussian firm Schnitzler & Kirshbaum. I can only find reference to them on CS staffs and it is the rarest bm of those and can find nothing for them on other CS buttons-if any body knows different let me know.
Also managed the usual flat buttons, IH, a nice 1860 fatty, a post war SC staff, eagle gs cuff and several other period relics and my dad dug a beautiful, Eagle I coat loaded with gilt.
thanks for looking.

Russ
 

Attachments

  • 20160411_111115.webp
    20160411_111115.webp
    445.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 20160411_133427.webp
    20160411_133427.webp
    465.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20160412_085312.webp
    20160412_085312.webp
    104.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20160413_123631.webp
    20160413_123631.webp
    432.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20160411_112707.webp
    20160411_112707.webp
    398.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 20160414_091357-1.webp
    20160414_091357-1.webp
    70.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 20160413_153049.webp
    20160413_153049.webp
    198.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20160411_164752.webp
    20160411_164752.webp
    283.9 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 24
Just returned from my annual LC hunt with my Dad and uncle. this site has been wonderful to us and I have deemed it my "field of Dreams" as I have personally dug some 400 buttons out of this general area-early 1700's through CW.
Two more fantastic buttons came out of the site this time around as I dug my first SC navy (1802-1808) double headed eagle style. As most are, it is in not-so great shape but I'll take it.
Next great find was the script A that I could tell was gilted-the BM however is what is so good as it is a rare, S & K (rivet'd and soldered). The Prussian firm Schnitzler & Kirshbaum. I can only find reference to them on CS staffs and it is the rarest bm of those and can find nothing for them on other CS buttons-if any body knows different let me know.
Also managed the usual flat buttons, IH, a nice 1860 fatty, a post war SC staff, eagle gs cuff and several other period relics and my dad dug a beautiful, Eagle I coat loaded with gilt.
thanks for looking.

Russ

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460644627.084239.webp
 
Beautiful buttons! Love the Eagle "Infantry" button!
 
Awesome recoveries Russ!!! Big congrats on not only digging some fine military buttons but also some rare ones too! Thanks for posting...gives me the itch to go diggin this afternoon!
 
Congratz! That is some great buttons!
 
Very nice finds! WOW. Awesome buttons.
 
Great finds once again
 
I was just wondering this morning how your site was coming along you had found. Am glad to see an old one is doing well for you still. Very nice finds.
 
Great Digs Russ. Glad your dad still digging.
 
Thanks for all the comments-the SC Navy was a bucket lister for me personally and glad I finally got to check that one off. The backmark is quite rare and have found out some more. Here is what William Leigh emailed me and as usual, his knowledge and willingness to help is much appreciated.

"Russ,
Indeed, very rare with this backmark! Itis scarce on the CS 5 Staffs and rare on anything else... very seldomseen on a Script A. Congratulations!
Also, occurs on CS1 "CSA" in the shield,(CS 5 Confederate Staff, as earlier mentioned), CS177Script "I", and CS152 Manuscript "E". I can't recallseeing the exact backmark on anything else (though there are variations of theS&K marking on some others."



 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom