What's new

Rarest civil war button I have ever found, unfortunately...

gbpackrfan1990

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2012
Messages
85
Reaction score
198
Golden Thread
1
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejan; Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today, we were hunting a well known confederate camp near Richmond, VA and weren't having too much luck. I dug two dropped Spencer bullets and 4 Spencer casings before finding the rarest button I have ever found.

Deep in the swamp thicket I found what appeared to be a U.S. Staff officers coat button, but upon closer inspection I saw the word "cadet" and knew it was something I'd never found. It turns out I found a Richmond Male Academy/Randolph-Macon Military Academy Cadet button. Tices book says that there are 10 known to have been excavated in the Richmond area. Unfortunately for me, the button is in TERRIBLE condition. The back has separated from the front, and it's so fragile, I'm scared to clean it. Right now it's sitting in an olive oil bath, I'm hoping that will stabilize the button, but I don't have high hopes.:sadsmiley:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160221_132940.webp
    IMG_20160221_132940.webp
    157.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20160221_143202.webp
    IMG_20160221_143202.webp
    85.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 20160221_154746-1.webp
    20160221_154746-1.webp
    182.3 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 24
Awesome score , send it off to get restored !
 
very nice that's one I don't have very cool
 
Who restores buttons? If you know anyone, please let me know!
 
Very nice button, even in that condition. You should definitely get it restored. The best guy for the job that I know of is Roland Frodigh. Look up "Hallowed Ground Restorations", the guy is a genius. He can fix anything it seems, and his prices are fair.

I sent him an Indian Wars era hat badge that I dug to be restored. I should have it back soon, I will post pics.
 
Very cool button! Good luck on cleaning and preserving it. What an outstanding find! Congrats
 
Great find mybee put in a case with magnifying glass cover easy to see and store.
 
Excellent save,, I really would like to see it again, , after the restoration.
Congrats
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom