"Ratphone" headphones, product changes, etc..

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Re: "Ratphone" headphones, product changes, etc..

I'm not sure. I am kind of wondering what the changes are myself as they are darn good headphones just like they are.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi Tin Nugget !

I just received a reply from Rick at Detect USA regarding the Ratphones.

When asked what the product changes are going to be, he could not divulge this information right now. I really didn't think he could when I asked. I imagine it has to do with approvals on prototype test models before going into full production and maybe some final decisions to be made on marketing presentation.

He (Rick) did give me sort of a reply on one question I asked that had to do with the "Pro-Leather" used for the ear cups and headband. I ask if the "Pro-Leather" is actually what is commonly known as Leatherette. He said it is a simulated leather. Webster defines "simulated" as made to look genuine, but fake. He went on to say that even though Pro-Leather may last twice as long without getting hard, it is more costly to replace than vinyl, because you have to send the phones back for pad replacement, whereas the vinyl can be done by the user. Therefore, I take it that he is debating whether or not to go back to vinyl on new production.

I had also asked when he anticipated shipping Ratphones with the new product changes. To this question he
replied that there is no target date and it is really hard to say.

So, Ratphone fans and wannabees, that's not "the rest of the story", but the best I could do right now ! :wink:

HH..........Todd

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

Todd, thanks for the follow up. I wil be watching for more info. Seems to me though that as good as the Ratphones are they would have kept making them while designing modifications etc.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tin Nugget,

That's a logical point ! Now that you've said that, it gives me a "springboard" for ideas.....perhaps the design changes were finalized some time ago and they are now in the process of trying to implement these changes. There are a hundred reasons why shipment has been interrupted. For example, quality problems with parts coming in from new sources, or maybe production line difficulties, and the list goes on and on.

Thanks for joining in here............we will see what the future holds on the Ratphones ! :thumbsup:

I plan to ask for new headphones for my birthday May 31 and am reviewing three models in the meantime.
That would be the Ratphones, Sun Ray Pro Gold, and Killer Bees Optima "Wasp". If the "Rats" aren't shipping by the time we get close to the end of May, they will be dropped from my list and I'll choose one of the other two....both of which are great headphones from all reports I've read. Right now, I'm also reading the book Detectorist and the author, Robert H. Sickler, has the following to say about buying headphones, in particular, the full earcup style :

It is risky to order headphones by mail, unless you can "try before you buy". (If you take this literally, you would have to visit the store.) He stresses that it is important to make sure the earcups surround your ears entirely and do not pinch or compress earlobes. He makes many other suggestions too numerous to mention here, but stresses that overall comfort is a matter of paramount importance. Any discomfort while MDing can break concentration and can have a negative affect on your success and enjoyment. I'm up to page 4-10 right now. Of course, the better dealers who sell by mail offer a return-if-you-are-not-satisfied policy, but naturally they expect returned headphones to be "like new" when received, so they can be resold, and my guess is you will get stuck with some charges on at least one leg of shipping.

Thanks and HH !,

Todd :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread