Re-Purposed Core Tool

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
In this case, turned into a celt -- uncommon in Paleo but not unknown (the East Wenachee cache contained one). From the same fluted point site in Coshocton Co. Ohio the blocky, polyhedral core came from. Found (like it) by Alan Harbuck.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That edge looks more like it was used for a hammer. Well used flint hammer stones are typically round, but they are beat to crap and look about like that edge.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
You wouldn't want to be hitting chert with chert if you wanted to control the outcome -- even hammerstones come in second to antler drifts for controlled results.

But it would be a pretty reasonable tool for dislodging a mastodon's tusks from its skull by chipping the bone anchoring them away . . .

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
.......you could break the glass so you could get a fire extinguisher out of the lock box in the hall way too but there is no evidence of it being used in that way more conjecture..

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Goes without saying. Nearly all use attribution is, to some extent, conjectural.

Now, what would a Paleo guy have been chopping that left that kind of damage ? Obviously not wood, and obviously (I hope) not stone. Bone splitting (for marrow or tool creation) was done via pieces esquilles (wedges).

Ball's in your court now . . .

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Why not wood? If we are going to use conjecture. I haven’t read any field study that shows a tusk being removed and I’m sure there was no marrow in that tusk. Anvil and hammer-stones, mauls, clubs is what the archeological record shows.
I’m not trying to argue. When you pull a name out of a European dictionary and than use it to describe your artifact and than some guy in Kansas tries to put his collection up to your glossary it is miss information. It confuses and makes people think that just maybe this rock might be an artifact just because it’s a rock. A couple of the examples you have show are also references in a make believe book written about paleo mans adventures. There is a lot of information out there to begin with. Show me the reference book so that I may try to understand.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
A number of ivory rods and tools show that tusks were exploited as tool stock. If you need a reference in a book, East Wenachee had a handful of them. Many others came out of Florida rivers. Doc Gramly, for that matter, has been playing with a Madtodon site in recent years, and happy that he finally has ivory and bone to occupy his attention and not just chert.

Your "references in a make believe book" leaves me baffled.

As as to the pieces that I've claimed are artifacts but are really just stones, help me out here. Which ones are those ?

FWIW, information only appears in books at the end of the line. Before that it circulates among interested people and is the topic of news announcements and journal articles. A lot of times that's as far as it gets, so that insisting that something be in a book somewhere before it's reliably "true" is not realistic. Not to mention that if you boiled all the silly nonsense, misinformation and unwarranted assumptions out of literature on Paleoindians (starting with Clovis First and One Migration from Siberia over the Land Bridge) you'd have a lot less left than you might suspect.

Identifying a tool as a piece esquile is not​ spreading misinformation.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ivory and bone rods absolutely atlatl shafts. Harvesting the tusk with that rock is your description. The book I’m referring to is by Bemmy? I will find again but it has your tools displayed with made up stories.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
People have guessed they were atlatl shafts, that they were sled runners, that they were tent pegs and probably assigned them to other uses. Being curved, they would have made very poor foreshafts. What's most plausible is that they were used to immobilize Proboscids by crippling their feet -- as can be done and has been occasionally observed on other continents.

Bemmy book has what relevance to this ? If I write a book that has your picture in it and claims that you are a space alien, does that mean you are one ? Or does it just mean that anybody can write a book (or a journal article or manage a Wikipedia page) and say anything he wants to ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The underlying problem your objections point to -- I'm not putting you down by pointing this out -- is that what's peddled to trusting people in this country as "education" is a fraud that approaches farce.

Even as far back as 1952, when Witthoft put Paleoindians on the map with his landmark Shoop study (that established that fluted points were the unique product of a distinct culture, distinguishable from the Archaic ones which followed, and coined the term "Paleoindian" to identify them), he wrote about them producing blades. He assumed when he did that his readers (other archaeologists) would know what a "blade" -- when used in an archaeological context -- was : a specialized tool made using a specialized technology. Like the ones I've illustrated. He assumed that because he assumed his colleagues had done their homework in European Paleolithic studies, as he had. What followed was a train wreck because his readers assumed that a "blade" was the unhafted part of a bifacial point. That's all they knew, because that's all they had to know to get their degrees. What relevance did the artifacts of the European Paleolithic have to anything made here ?

The situation has not improved much since.

What I want to ask is why do people have to re-invent wheels that were invented 100 years ago ? A limace made in England or France is not essentially different from one made in Massachusetts or Kentucky. It's a specific tool form from a specific period in time that already has a name. A "limace" is what it IS. References to them go back to the later 1800s. IMHO, pointing this out is not being a jerk. It's doing remedial education that the people who wrote the things you read should have taken care of, long ago.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
PS : I wrote previous posts assuming the internet/google was still what it was. Checking now, it seems like archaeology is an entire topic that's been scrubbed. Searching paleoindian + pdf used to bring up 10 or so pages of site reports you could read for free. No more. Everything left, nearly, is behind a paywall.

Now, searching for "French artifact + limace" in images links to nothing. Even specifying sites like Dons Maps : zero.

The dumbing down continues. Highschool kids can no longer place the American Revolution and the War Between the States in the right centuries. (!)

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
...maybe to sell books..
In the elephant videos I have watched, it’s easy to imagine an ambush to inflict damage to a leg, knee, joints, away from a water source and than ambushing again when they go to water..
I’m personally not convinced that we are able to date All flake artifacts in the way the flake scar is, of course over shot but it can be repeated on a quarry blank from just 1000 years ago.
Take more pics of those pieces. Angles up, down, all around.
Everybody seems to want to find something paleo or they find nothing but paleo flake debutage in amongst all Duncan Hanna Mckeen artifacts. That’s not paleo in DHMcK it’s All DHMcK..
I don’t come here to argue with you. I’m trying to learn myself. You must teach me, show me, convince me before I can just go along with..
Jeb Taylor’s book is my reference. Overstreet is a Christmas wish book, full of errors.
If you wanted to sell more books you could put my picture on the cover, doing the lutherville shuffle..

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
PS : I wrote previous posts assuming the internet/google was still what it was. Checking now, it seems like archaeology is an entire topic that's been scrubbed. Searching paleoindian + pdf used to bring up 10 or so pages of site reports you could read for free. No more. Everything left, nearly, is behind a paywall.

Now, searching for "French artifact + limace" in images links to nothing. Even specifying sites like Dons Maps : zero.

The dumbing down continues. Highschool kids can no longer place the American Revolution and the War Between the States in the right centuries. (!)

Correct, no longer the ‘world wide web’. Any search one does on the internet now is driven only to the same, few websites. You can only find the end result of which ‘they ‘ want you directed to. Google up. Very controlled resources and specified “knowledge” google takes you to where google wants you. My two cents anyhow. Great discussion between you guys, points taken from both sides. Thanks

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried duckduckgo, dogpile and yandex just now, and they seem to do OK. It's google (and bing, that piggy backs on it) that stink.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried duckduckgo, dogpile and yandex just now, and they seem to do OK. It's google (and bing, that piggy backs on it) that stink.

We really need a search engine dedicated to education and historical research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread