Reading a creek

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research about the area where I'm at (Northern Kentucky) and found out there's gold here. Not a lot but it's here. I went to a spring creek and messed around and panned some BB's to make sure I got the panning part down. I'm looking for information about how to read a creek. I looked on YouTube and the videos on there are highly confusing. The creeks they show are totally different then what I'm working with. The ones they show are moving super fast and look totally different. (All creeks look different I know) anyways, they really never get to the point.

I have other questions but I think it's best I learn how to read the creek first. I appreciate anyone that helps me out.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Good question I've dealt with as well. I know that 2 miles down the road off this same mountain gold was found. I've panned and sluiced my creek with no color found.

I do NOT intend on quitting, riches? No, just a little color would make me smile and encourage me.

My driveway is a kilometer long with two locations where bridges cross via culverts. That creek is cold, but I need to get in it with my wetsuit and scoop out those culverts and pan those.

Culverts make natural sluices :)

OP
OP
R

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The little creek I went today was all sedimentary rock. Got to see some pretty crazy fossils. There's another two spring creeks that I'm going to check out probably not tomorrow because it's going to thunderstorm. If they don't work out I'm going to ask my uncle if he knows anyone down the road by this huge creek where the water runs pretty fast. Could be the first person to find gold there.

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research about the area where I'm at (Northern Kentucky) and found out there's gold here. Not a lot but it's here. I went to a spring creek and messed around and panned some BB's to make sure I got the panning part down. I'm looking for information about how to read a creek. I looked on YouTube and the videos on there are highly confusing. The creeks they show are totally different then what I'm working with. The ones they show are moving super fast and look totally different. (All creeks look different I know) anyways, they really never get to the point.

I have other questions but I think it's best I learn how to read the creek first. I appreciate anyone that helps me out.

This is the best information I've come up with. I recommend that you buy the book.
How To Read A Stream Or River

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fast or slow creek/stream gold dosent care.It will always be found on the inside curve.Where the slower current allows it to drop out.And settle on bedrock.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, if you have any 'exposed' or 'underwater' bedrock hit all the cracks & crevices .They will act as natures sluice :)

OP
OP
R

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Probably all set now. Just gotta go creek hunting and maybe check out the banks of the Ohio river.

OP
OP
R

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, if you have any 'exposed' or 'underwater' bedrock hit all the cracks & crevices .They will act as natures sluice :)

I seen a thing on YouTube I want to make. It's a hand sucker that sucks up the materials in the cracks and crevices.

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I seen a thing on YouTube I want to make. It's a hand sucker that sucks up the materials in the cracks and crevices.

You can Google hand gold sucker and see many designs. I made some 2" ones with a plumbers test plug for a piston, but they didn't seem to work well. I then made a 3" one with a 1 1/4 nozzle and a check flapper. Love it!

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can Google hand gold sucker and see many designs. I made some 2" ones with a plumbers test plug for a piston, but they didn't seem to work well. I then made a 3" one with a 1 1/4 nozzle and a check flapper. Love it!

Use a rubber ball and squish it between two large washers with a nut. Can't beat the rubber ball. You can always squish more or less. Just a matter of buying a fairly soft solid rubber ball that is less than two inches in diameter for a two inch suction gun. Use some threaded stock.

Bejay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread