What's new

real Birdstone

Goodnight

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 30, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20131124_150225.webp20131124_150250.webp20131124_150300.webp
I posted this in general and was told I should post it here my dad found this in a box of Arrowhead about 40 years ago we were wondering if its even worth getting not authenicated? Do you think its real if so does it have value
 
Upvote 0
look to see if there are any tiny lines in it,ones left from a grinding stone,there should not be any if it is real worth quite a bit thanks for sharing it looks good to me but a picture with a macro setting would be great
 
Goodnight first let me welcome you to Tnet and yes it looks right, but without holding it or very good up close photos, I can not tell for sure. The odds are with you due to the fact that it was found 40 yrs ago. What part of the country did it come from. If I wanted to be sure I would find someone close to your area like a college that teaches archeology or museum and show it to them. Just to let you know a lot of archeologist don't like to commit to wither something is real are not. That is a super find and do you still have the points also, and it does have value. That is what I would call a popped eyed bird stone.
 
It looks like a Guffey birdstone to me. It might be worth the $30 to you to get it papered, but don't be surprised when it comes back as a replica.

Mr Guffey was very active in the 1930's and 1940's.
 
Huge waste of $30. Piece is not even close to authentic birdstone form or proper material. Good news is it may be a Guffey, which sell for $50-$100. Please don't pay someone to tell you this.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom