Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I got permission a few weeks ago to hunt some bean and corn fields where there were once four differant homes dating pre-1874 as they are shown on the 1874 survey map.
It has been a tuff few weeks with not much to show for it except three wheaties, one flat button and today a skeleton key. But my persistance has proven that there must be something to show for all these hours that I've put into these four places.

I thought with the size that it might be a token, it is a little smaller than the large cents but a larger than the half cents, and it is quite thin. Below is my attemp to take pics and posted them here, hopefully someone can help me out with this one. I can make out a rim around it with little beads, kind of like the old Canadian large cents but this piece is just a tad bit larger in size and thinner than them also.

The best of the lettering that I can make out I think reads: _ _ _ RCE&PM or ROE&PM, I have to tip it slightly with the light angle to see differant letters. I even thought I seen the number 8 in it.

Also in the pics are two coins from last Sunday at a differant location, near sidewalk and road. A 1851 LC and a 1944 Washington. So my pickings were slim, real slim but for what I did pull from the dirt I'm still happy! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 100_3267.JPG
    100_3267.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 687
  • more words.jpg
    more words.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 672
  • --RCE- PM.jpg
    --RCE- PM.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 674
  • beaded rim2.jpg
    beaded rim2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 692
  • 100_3260.JPG
    100_3260.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 672
  • 100_3259.JPG
    100_3259.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 680
  • 100_3264.JPG
    100_3264.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 680
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Real old coin (I think) with hole

If it weren't for folks like these, I wouldn't have a hobby. :laughing7:

Attachments

• beet packer.jpg
    beet packer.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 668

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds, probably a token with and written on it. love the skeleton key I haven't found one yet.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Re: Real old copper coin ? with hole.

take the unknown coin into a dark room, put it on a table and shine a flashlight at a 90 degree angle to the surface, like on a grave marker at night, the high and lows will stand out, maybe that will help

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Diggincoinz said:
If it weren't for folks like these, I wouldn't have a hobby. :laughing7:

Indeed....LOL

Happy Hunting!

Dugholes

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PBK you're amazing! I think it really close to that, probably is too! I'll have to study it some more.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Real old copper coin ? with hole. c.1816

Thanks PBK! You got me on the right track but I'm not seeing "TR" for trade token on the image. But with your help it got me looking into the Canadian Colonial tokens, I think I may have found it.

Viewing the token with my 8x eye cup and referencing the picture I have here I could start to see "UP" and "--NADA" letters although corroded and the "MERCE & PE". Also think I can pick out the correded "BR".

Here's the info I found on it: http://www.glencoin.com/presentation_to_glendale_coin_club.htm
Brock Token of 1816 -- there’s seven varieties of this token which commemorates General Sir Isaac Brock, Commander of the British forces in Upper Canada. During July, 1812, Brock captured Detroit, but on October 13th of that year died in battle defending Queenstown Heights in Upper Canada. The best means of attributing these are by the use of McLachlan’s book on Upper Canada.

Attachments

• Token1.jpg
    Token1.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 354
  • Token1.jpg
    Token1.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 304

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Real old copper coin ? with hole. c.1816

Diggincoinz said:
Thanks PBK! You got me on the right track but I'm not seeing "TR" for trade token on the image. But with your help it got me looking into the Canadian Colonial tokens, I think I may have found it.

Viewing the token with my 8x eye cup and referencing the picture I have here I could start to see "UP" and "--NADA" letters although corroded and the "MERCE & PE". Also think I can pick out the correded "BR".

Here's the info I found on it: http://www.glencoin.com/presentation_to_glendale_coin_club.htm
Brock Token of 1816 -- there’s seven varieties of this token which commemorates General Sir Isaac Brock, Commander of the British forces in Upper Canada. During July, 1812, Brock captured Detroit, but on October 13th of that year died in battle defending Queenstown Heights in Upper Canada. The best means of attributing these are by the use of McLachlan’s book on Upper Canada.

That makes more sense for the condition too. Those are thin and often very worn, where as the PEI token almost always comes out with lots of detail.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Buy Amonia at your local foodstore or drugstore. It will cost under $5 and you will use a que tip to rub the amonia on the coin. Make sure you do this outside bcause it smells. Do not rub it forever either. It Should rub off enough dirt/grime for you to be able to see the detail and date. JuJu and I use amonia to clean up our coins all of the time because Washington State's soil does a number on copper coins up here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread