Really cool find this morning! Possibly a horse bridle rosette of a woman?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out early this morning to take advantage of the 65 degree weather. Only found one good relic, but it's really cool. I think it's a horse bridle rosette, but I'm not positive. It's brass and depicts a woman, who appears to be Egyptian. It measures 1 3/4" x 2".

Let me know what you think it could be and how old it is. I cleaned it a bit, but it's still a little grungy. Here's a few pics:

rosette dirty.JPGrosette back dirty.JPGrosette clean.JPGrosette back clean.JPG

Upvote 12
No idea but a very cool find. Congrats.

I would also guess it is a rosette and it's a beautiful one too! Very nice.

I think that is a sash buckle. Cool find !

Nice find. Though my knowledge lies with pre-1865 items; I believe this is not a rosette. I think it is more of a woman's belt buckle of the 1920s or so. When King Tuts tomb was discovered it ignited an Egyptian Revival period in the US and elsewhere. I could be a little off on age but I do not believe it pre-dates 1865. Nice find.

Super find!........but not the right mounting on back for rosette.............I'm betting it's a ladies sash buckle. ( but could be wrong! )

Iowa Dale

Hah! By the time I got mine posted, Danimal had already answered!:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Could very well be a sash buckle, but I can't find it anywhere online. I checked hundreds of pictures of them on Google and dozens of listings on eBay, but no luck.

I did find a Civil War era Egyptian sash buckle, so it could be from that era as well. Here's the photo:

civil was sash buckle.jpeg

Hello FreeBirdTim. That is one sweet find. She will look even better when you clean it some more. I hope you will post her again after she is ready for the ball. Good luck. C9

that's pretty cool. I concur with the others who believe it is a 1920's sash buckle.

Thanks for the help, guys. Here's a couple of pics after I cleaned it up with mineral oil. I didn't attempt to straighten it out. Bending it would probably do more harm than good. Still a nice find!

sash buckle cleaned.JPGsash buckle back cleaned.JPG

Reminds me of that Lion face buckle/rosette I found this summer.
Whatever it is I think its really cool.

Hey tim,
Check this out.

Attachments

• image-289155421.jpg
    image-289155421.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3251505433.jpg
    image-3251505433.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 95
Wow, that looks like a perfect match to mine! Is it the same size as mine? Really cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back