Really Excited...

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed the combines coming in this morning to harvest the corn at my permission across the street from work. Which means I'll get the chance to get into my first field.

Feels like I've been waiting forever. Same farmer will be harvesting the field with the 1700's house next week. The house is gone, but it's 100 plus acres that as far as they know has never been detected.

Upvote 11

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a lot of fun, but take with a grain of salt, considering all the nightcrawlers I've met detecting over the last 30+ years you might not find much.. But I hope for you the best, please post anything you find because we all would love to see those early Americans and Early Spanish coins !!

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150, bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a lot of fun, but take with a grain of salt, considering all the nightcrawlers I've met detecting over the last 30+ years you might not find much.. But I hope for you the best, please post anything you find because we all would love to see those early Americans and Early Spanish coins !!

even with complete permissions detecting at night, i would feel like a total SKETCHBAG that was breaking some sort if law🤣

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck with the permissions, corn isn't the great thing to swing in, but it keeps the grid lines spot on.:laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Night hawking/trespassing is just plain bad, but it happens and it basically screws it up for many others.

Caught a couple a couple of years back on the edge of the property.

Seen screen shots of his posts from another forum.
Real class act(:censored:)
"Always With Permission" :laughing7:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sibbley...sounds like a real winner of a field. Best of luck at your permission... :occasion14:

Y'all been talking about night hunting....how did that get into the conversation? OP sure didn't mention it. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sibbley...sounds like a real winner of a field. Best of luck at your permission... :occasion14:

Y'all been talking about night hunting....how did that get into the conversation? OP sure didn't mention it. :icon_scratch:
Arggggg! I took off today to spend time swinging at the state park and there is a big rain blotch coming right at us! So much for a beautiful sunny day.

To answer you question. I mentioned the permission was not hunted as far as the owner knows. In the second post, it was brought up about folks that hunt at night without permission.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The field across the street from work isn't done yet. Maybe Monday. They asked that I stay out till it's done, which is understandable.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look forw rd to seeing your finds from both fields. Good luck!

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent a couple hours at the state park. Didn't find much. A couple shot gun head stamps and pull tabs. Oh, and a 22 short casing. I didn't look up the headstamps yet to see their age. The magnum with the plastic casing is more modern for sure.

P1001020_WM.jpg P1001021_WM.jpg P1001022_WM.jpg P1001023_WM.jpg P1001024_WM.jpg P1001026_WM.jpg P1001025_WM.jpg

Went to one of our township parks afterward. Found that the township owns 51 acres of farm field next to the park which I should have no problem getting permission to hunt. I work with the township folks on a regular basis at my job.

At the park I found fishing weights and my best find of the day. A 1946 Jefferson Nickel surface find, no mint mark so, Philly. I didn't get pics of the weights yet. They're still wet. It's the oldest nickel I've ever found.

P1001018_WM.jpg P1001019_WM.jpg

Edit 11/2/23: Added Pic of weights and other items found.
P1001073_WM.jpg

Last edited:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arggggg! I took off today to spend time swinging at the state park and there is a big rain blotch coming right at us! So much for a beautiful sunny day.

To answer you question. I mentioned the permission was not hunted as far as the owner knows. In the second post, it was brought up about folks that hunt at night without permission.
Just to clarify, I wasn't exactly referring to NIGHT hunting more than people who will hunt just about anywhere and try to get away with it. Also, just because the homeowners have never seen anybody hunting it doesn't mean it hasn't been hunted... Metal detectors have been around for more than 50+ years and I always assume a site has been hunted until I hunt it myself, You will know... because of the number of targets... Lots of targets... probably not... very few targets .. probably so ...

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent an hour or so in the 51 acres owned by our township this afternoon. Tons of iron signals. The Manticore didn't do to well. Lots of little thin stalks (not corn). They are easily pushed over but the Manticore kept getting stuck in them. I'm going to take the Impact next time. The coil is beefier and shouldn't have a problem knocking them over.

Found some items, I'll get pics tomorrow. The site has been field at least back to 1860. Only 2 homes on the property since then. Although, the homes were subdivided at some point and aren't part of the property available to me. Hope to get into the other two corn fields over the weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread