Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've already found several primitive/hand-made tools and nails near the site of an old mill in our neighborhood. Pulled this one out yesterday - looked like a rock. Tumbled it overnight and then electrolysis all day. I appear to have a hand-made (?) 1/2 socket with a 1/2 drive. I can't make out any maker's mark. Not sure if that's because it just that corroded or because it's just that primitive. Anyway, this made my day! Thanks for looking!

After tumbling and before electrolysis:

IMG_1190.jpg

After electrolysis:

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

Upvote 10
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
12 points were not patented until 1966 by SnapOn
Actually, it appears that Williams was producing 12-point sockets as early as 1929. I may not know a whole lot, but I do my research before I start blindly posting things on here.

Please do me the courtesy of doing the same before you make another attempt at denigrating me.

J.H. Williams, The SuperCompany [Page 3] (1).png

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The comment that SnapOn patented a 12 point socket in 1966 is valid...look it up.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Socket to me! Not everyday you see somebody dig a socket!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Info. Just because a patent was issued on a given date does not mean that someone else was manufacturing something similar years before.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know whether the socket was plated or not. It's too roached. But nowadays unplated sockets are generally made for use with pneumatic of electric impact tools.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually, it appears that Williams was producing 12-point sockets as early as 1929. I may not know a whole lot, but I do my research before I start blindly posting things on here.
Please do me the courtesy of doing the same before you make another attempt at denigrating me.

Nobody insulted your research. He was not correct, but in no way
was he trying to denigrate you.

My research shows this:

Patent number: 1,424,069

Date: Jul. 25, 1922
Tool: Wrench
Patent applied for by: Fred W. Blackmar, Providence, RI

Description: The patent describes a 12-point socket attached to a handle that extends
at a 45 degree angle from the plane of the socket. Catalog listings for Blue-Point Boxocket
(r) wrenches and contemporary 12-point sockets produced by Snap-On (r) tools cite this patent.
Alloy Artifacts notes J. H. Williams also licensed the patent for early 1930s "DUOHEX" double box
end wrenches.

Last edited:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your first photo I seen the socket was knurled toward the top. I'm not home right now to check out my hodgepodge assortment of sockets to verify this but if I remember correctly that's a Williams socked. Also unlike most other makers they had a somewhat tapered body and the walls were usually a bit thinner than other brands tended to be.

Don

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In your first photo I seen the socket was knurled toward the top. I'm not home right now to check out my hodgepodge assortment of sockets to verify this but if I remember correctly that's a Williams socked. Also unlike most other makers they had a somewhat tapered body and the walls were usually a bit thinner than other brands tended to be.

Don

Thanks Don! Tony in SC said the same thing. And I did notice that the walls seemed particularly thin....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread