reccomendation to clear trash - detector

maverick06

Greenie
Jan 3, 2019
media, pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All,
I am looking for a detector recommendation primarily to clear the trash from my yard. The house has had a few roofs installed, and an addition. As best as I can tell the builders used the yard as the trash pit.... With kids, I want to clear the junk from it.

I bought a cheapie harbor freight detector (i know i know.... junk... i thought i was looking for nails how hard is that, https://www.harborfreight.com/6-function-metal-detector-43150.html ) BUT the cheap detector isnt doing what i want. I am not a total idiot, mechanical engineer, and I have tuned it right. It actually works decently to find coins. However, it just cruises right over ferrous stuff. Even with the discriminator all the way to MIN it does not see the ferrous stuff. I was able to partially use it by tuning it high, then scanning the area listening for when the sound stopped and the needle blipped to the ferrous side. However it was very hard to pick out that.

I also have an ancient Micronta 4003 which appears to not be working right. Cable needs replacement. When held just right, I can get it to respond to non-ferrous, but again, its not buzzing for ferrous. I am sure i have used it to find nails in the past, but I think its showing its age and not working great....

Point being, I am not hunting for pirate treasure. Just trying to find a detector to find the nails (steel, iron, and aluminum) all over my yard (subsurface). Preferably <$200.

Suggestions are welcome! Thanks
Rick

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Garrett Ace 250 should do you well. You could also purchase a good Tesoro detector (it beeps you dig).

Another way to get small nails...etc. would be to mount powerful rare earth magnets attached 3" apart on a 6 foot piece of plastic 1" PVC pipe (10' foot pipe cost about $3.00 dollars). Add some rope (on each end) to drag the PVC along the ground; should get most if not all of any recently dropped nails...etc.

Then buy a good machine to detect your yard and have fun with the new hobby.

Good Luck on your yard cleaning project.

Doc

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV ! Or all most any other Bounty Hunter. Extremely underrated , very inexpensive.

Herbie1955

Dec 30, 2017
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
AT/PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check your local Craigs list there are usually entry level detectors for sale there.

OP
OP
M

maverick06

Greenie
Jan 3, 2019
media, pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. magnets wont work, most is subsurface a bit, inch or two... (still shallow enough i worry about the kids getting a nail through the foot) I have PMed someone about the sale of a garrett ace 250. nothing meaningful on craigslist now. But I am not in a hurry, its a springtime project. Amazing how the previous owners of the place just didnt care about making a mess. The current harbor freight one has found a bucket of nails, a few drill bits, lots of aluminum flashing, bits and pieces of pipes for a bathtub, and one wheat penny.... It has more than provided justification to buy a real detector to clear the area....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your yard is that infested, I'd be tempted to scrape off the top foot and bring in some new soil.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Garrett ACE 250, a Tesoro like the Cibola or the Bounty Hunter will fit the bill nicely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread