What's new

Received my ATPro

Monty

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
10,752
Reaction score
170
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out of town during the Thanksgiving holiday and my ATPro arrived on my doorstep. You'd think that since the holiday stealing season is in progress they wouldn't just leave it on your front doorstoop, but they did! Luckily, I told my next door neighbor to watch for it and he saw it delivered and picked it up for me.
It was fairly straight forward and easy to assemble except for the connection for the coil wire and headphone set is in an indented place on the detector head and my fingers were too big to easily attach them! I was afraid I would break the tiny male pins in the process but after getting down in the floor with a flashlight I finally got them attached. I had to attach the leads first and then put the coil on because the tension on the attached coil caused the wire to twist out of alignment. It would be extremely difficult out in the field on a hunt I would think. A little engineering boo boo? I also ordered the optional waterproof headphones because knowing me I would drop the regular ones and ruin them immediately on getting into the water! I have attended several local club hunts at the local lakes and have a dedicated water machine but I don't think I will need it now that the AtPro is waterproof to ten feet. And no more worries about getting caught out in a sudden unexpected rain shower either.
I haven't had a chance to get out and do any hunting yet because of my ongoing knee problems but I am going to do my own air testing on various objects I keep in a little bag just to tune my detectors. I have seen the tests done on the net, but I want to see and hear the tones for myself. No need to report the results since they have been available for viewing for several weeks now.
I started out with a cheap detector and soon graduated to the GTI 2500. I loved it but with my old back injury it was just too heavy for me to swing for over 30 minutes or so without a rest. The AtPro will be much easier to swing I hope. Now I will have to save my $$$ and get a DD sniper coil at some later date as I have found them to be extremely useful around junky areas.
There really isn't a whole lot of difference between it and my ACE250 except for a few more bells and whistles and the huge new 11" coil it uses. The brains of the outfit fits into a very similar shaped container and the feel of swinging it is nearly identical. Come to think of it, my ACE 250 coils may work on the AtPro? I'll have to check that out. I bought it from Kellyco, one of the site sponsors, so we have a rep here on Tnet to ask about that.
I will do a little short hunt and report it here as soon as my knee heals up and the weather permits. Garrett has incorporated some of the things I have been nagging them about for some time so maybe it will fill the bill for my needs? The only thing more I could wish for is perhaps a multifrequency abilitiy such as you know who. But I had a Safari and really never did get the hang of the alien sounds it made! Monty
 
Glad to here your Pro is home. Looking forward to your review. Arty
 
Good luck Monty :thumbsup: Don't forget to read :read2: the manual first, not after..... :laughing7:
 
When I was at Kellyco to pick up my AT Pro they told me that the 4 1/2 sniper coil for it was actually made for the Ace models but I suspect the connectors are different. Anyway while I was there I also ordered the waterproof headphones for the same reason you did and the 4 1/2 sniper coil, even though it isn't DD. They didn't have either of them in stock.

I haven't been able to really test mine either because I haven't used a detector in over 30 years and these new models have a learning curve that I need to overcome first. And when you are past age 65 retaining what you learn is sometimes much slower.
 
Monty I am glad you received your AT Pro with UPS doing the delivery. I had to sue UPS to get them to reimburse me for a lost package they said they delivered even thought the signature wasn't mine. Now I have to sign or they don't leave a package.

I too have back and knee trouble and am more comfortable in the water. I haven't ordered one yet, and have many to use, but I want one anyway. Keep us informed on your new detector please. :thumbsup:
 
Received mine yesterday. The only "complaints" I have are the less than ideal placement of the connectors for the head phones and coil and that the poles don't fit snugly together. There is a tiny amount of movement from them, enough that it will aggravate me and I will be forced to come up with a solution.

I also wish it used a normal head phone jack as I prefer to use earbuds rather than circumaural head phones. I'll probably just cut up the head phone wire and splice in a 3.5mm female jack.

The only testing I was able to do was on my dogs :icon_scratch: One of them had a leather spiked/studded collar and the other ATE THE WHOLE THING. Needless to say, my dog beeped a lot when being detected :tongue3:

Overall, a very well built unit it seems. Doesn't feel cheap in any way and just some minor complaints.
 
your dog must need a bit of iron in its diet -- seriously well at least you know it did eat the collar for sure --thats gotta be hard on the dogs digestive system * --

monty what "numbers" come up on common objects --I want to know its "spread" -- on say IH cents/zinc cent --- nickle /10k gold -- and coins in general
 
I really haven't had time to do anything with my new AtPro yet. I have been out of town and just got back. Getting car serviced, taking down my wife's Tksgiving stuff and getting out the Christmas stuff and tending to things that were neglected when I was gone. You know the drill. :laughing9: Even got a haircut! Now I have to go grocery shopping with Kay to buy the Christmas goodies as Christmas dinner is always held at my house. Then maybe I'll get some time to play this afternoon? Monty
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom