received my new detector today...got out for an hour

S

shamhawks

Just got my QXT today (bought on ebay) Thing is in brand new condition like the seller said (only 1 time use....not 1 mark anywhere on the detector) and I got it for less than half of retail...gotta like ebay ;)

Went to the local school to test it out. Hope this is a sign of good things to come. Was able to find $3.42 in clad at the soccer field. not bad for just over an hour. At first, thought my machine had a problem as it was sounding off so much for the first 5 minutes in a 5 foot area as i was ground balancing it and didn't dig yet. Well it was going off for good reason, as I didn't go more than a few steps from finding coin after coin. The first 20 or so coins I found was all pennies, but then started to get the quarters. 2 occassions where multiple coins were in the same hole.

Overall, think I will like the QXT. said It looks like a sign of good things to come. I live in a small canadian border town and the school I went to today has all the towns schools on one property and has a very large area to search and for me to find so many coins, means not many MDers here.Guessing only searched about 1% of the school grounds as I only searched maybe 1/4 of the soccer field.

I still have to get more used to this machine. used the coin and jewerly mode at the field, and should have just used the coin mode as I did come accross a few pop tops and foil. very pleased with the first day out with it though. would have done a better search if it wasn't for my back killing me and the terrible plastic digger I have. Take me awhile to get back in metal detecting shape....lol

Anyway, no pictures today...old GF has my digital camera battery and said she sent it in the mail last week...still haven't got it though...same ole stuff ::)

Edit: I almost forgot to add that I did find a 1943 Quarter at the field too, and about .50 in canadian....not surprising as I'm on the border

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

Congrats on your new detector. I agree. Bought my last 2 off ebay and saved a bundle. Your off to a great start. Don't be surprised if your legs hurt tomorrow. But not to worry, the pain only lasts for days and days and days and days. ;D Enjoy your new detector. HH

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. On the off chance you don't know, the 1943 quarter is silver and people usually make a larger deal about finding those types coins. You might want th grid the area to get the rest of the coins and possibly more silver. Nice finds.

HH
-GC

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the Qxt Pro is a hot machine i love mine, also had the Quantum xt last Year, same machine. Pulled a 36 buffalo out at 9 in. and old square nails 12 to 14 in. they are deep seeking machines. have you checked out this site http://66.51.97.78/jb/quantumtips.html set it up like this and the audio is smooth, just set up the zones you want to tone alert. and start digging. HH Thompy

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds Hawk! Hope you get that battery back!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
S

shamhawks

thompy said:
the Qxt Pro is a hot machine i love mine, also had the Quantum xt last Year, same machine. Pulled a 36 buffalo out at 9 in. and old square nails 12 to 14 in. they are deep seeking machines. have you checked out this site http://66.51.97.78/jb/quantumtips.html set it up like this and the audio is smooth, just set up the zones you want to tone alert. and start digging. HH Thompy

Thanks for the tips site...Looks good to add some depth.

TC and HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems you have a nice machine, I use an XLT. The gold and silver rings ID as junk and pull tabs, gotta dig it all unfortunately. HH< Mike

OP
OP
S

shamhawks

rvbvetter said:
Congrats on your new detector. I agree. Bought my last 2 off ebay and saved a bundle. Your off to a great start. Don't be surprised if your legs hurt tomorrow. But not to worry, the pain only lasts for days and days and days and days. ;D Enjoy your new detector. HH

LOL...I thought no way my legs would be sore today. How quick you can get out of shape. I graduated from a law enforcement academy in December where we were running at least 5 miles 3 times a week, but haven't done much since :-[ and sure enough my legs are very sore today and since the 2nd day is usually the worst... tomorrow should be fun...good thing I was only out there for a little over an hour, otherwise would still be in bed unable to get up ;D

OP
OP
S

shamhawks

Went back to the school today...started at the other end in the playground and didn't find 1 coin, so went back to the soccer field and same thing as yesterday...first 20 or so finds were all pennies and then the quarters and dimes started coming. First 2 quarters were 65,67 :P did end up with another silver though. I still haven't done a great grid there yet, but still have over $6 in clad, 2 silver quarters and about 1.30 in canadian in about 3 hours seaching in 2 days.

today:
canadian: .77
clad:3.58
1946 quarter

before I got to the school, I came across a old abandoned house on a huge property. I drove down the long driveway and found no treaspassing signs so just visually looked from a distance...home was boarded up, couple of older vehicles on the property, an old barn, outhouse type building and also another failrly big bulding about 200 yards away from main home, but had grass and sticker bushes so tall, all you could see was the roof. I did get out the detector on the road, outside of the no treaspassing area just for about 15 min to test the area and found 1920 penny, half a spoon and old toy car. looks like a very promising area and will do some research and hopefully get permission to search. It does seem like plans are in the works for the area...alot of the field was staked off. Must be at least a 20 acre piece of property.

Will update if anything comes of it. I also talked to my ex today, and she said she completely forgot about sending the battery for my digital camera and will put in mail tomorrow...we will see ::) sure would like to take some photos.

Edit: pulled up the records on the house and the city owns it..hopefully they are cool with giving permission...It was built in 1889 on 23.26 acres...won't be able to sleep now, man I hope they say no problem and if they do will dig for other old properties they have ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread