What's new

Recent Hunts with my New 15 X 12 SEF Coil Yields Some Silver

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
1,518
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I recently got a 15 X 12 SEF coil for my Etrac. Overall I think it is a great compliment to the pro coil.

I first tried it at a north side park one night last week in an area that is very trashy and all the older coins are at least 7 inches deep. The coil performed very well. Even with its large size it is not that much different pin pointing then with the pro coil – especially if you hunt very slow. More than any additional depth advantage, I think the best benefit of this coil is the increased stability. It turns a lot of iffy signals into more clear signals. Additionally, I was able to bump up the sensitivity to like 24 with very little falseing and chirping. Usually I run at about 20 sensitivity at this location and auto is usually like 18. In an area that I have heavily hunted I pulled out 7 wheaties, a 1947 Rosie and a 1936 Merc in a 3 hour hunt. Coins were in the 7 to 9 inch depth range. The coil is heavy and I don’t think it would be suited for a 7 hour all day hunt. It helps that I was going very slow given the trashy location so it was not that fatiguing.

My next time out with it was for about an hour and a half Sunday morning. Went to a larger Chicago park and hunted an area I have hit a couple times in the last month. Found a few wheaties and then got a signal bouncing between iron and coin at about 6 inches. Turned out to be a pocket spill – 10 wheatie, 17 wheatie, 11D Barber dime and a nice full liberty 1915 Barber dime. There was also two pieces of iron in the hole. Ran into a couple of nice guys from the Great Lakes Historical Recovery Club who were also hunting at this location. Thanks for looking.

006.webp

005.webp
 
Awesome coins!!!! :headbang:
 
Sweet silvers PS! Sounds like you've got that coil over the coins for sure!
 
Great finds, Patrick!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats on the new coil, too! I can't imagine working that 12X15 for any amount of time! :o I guess I'd have to get used to it. I got the 10X12 SEF, and after a few months of using a small coil for the most part, the 10X12 seemed like a rock in comparison! It's nice in the woods because it's slimmer that the Pro and can get into tighter places, but the Pro is as heavy as I want to get for now. What amazes me is the way you are finding it performs in heavy trash. The proof is in your finds! WTG!!! :wink:
 
WOW REALLY GREAT FINDS PATRICK! I KNOW MCNICKLE DOES GREAT WITH IT ALSO!
 
Great job wiggling out those elusive deepies! Sounds like you might have run into Mark and his friend. Those guys sure have some stories to tell.

That '15 is beautiful!! Congrats!
 
WOW!! That 1915 Barb is sweet :thumbsup:
 
Wow, great looking coins! Like you really needed a new coil.... ;D
I've been thinking about an SEF for the DFX, but they don't make it yet in the 6x8
 
You are doing Excellent with that SEF Mr. Spill..........
 
Great finds PS. Thanks for sharing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom