Recent surface find 1904 Indian Head

RIBottleguy

Apr 10, 2013
South Kingstown, RI
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I don't have a metal detector yet, finding coins can be a difficult task. I got lucky this week! While looking for buttons in a roadside cellar hole, I spotted this guy in a pile of dirt. I just recently started watching the show "Diggers" and already the term "roundness" is stuck in my head!

Since it's not rare I gave it a quick bath in lemon juice. If anyone knows a better way to clean copper coins I'm all ears!

IMG_1653.JPG

Upvote 3
I have cleaned my Indians with a short warm peroxied bath but now I just rinse them off with soap water and pat them dry put a light coat of some olive oil on them. After few weeks I have looked them over and it seams that the olive oil loosen up more of the crud. I just repeat the process and let them be. Good luck

Wow! That's a great eyeball find! Now, if there are IH pennies just laying on the surface, can you imagine what's under it?! Hope you get a detector soon, and post all the cool finds from that cellar hole!
HH & Great digs ahead

Wow! That's a great eyeball find! Now, if there are IH pennies just laying on the surface, can you imagine what's under it?! Hope you get a detector soon, and post all the cool finds from that cellar hole!
HH & Great digs ahead

Thanks,
The owner actually had someone come down with a metal detector before me! Either he wasn't very thorough or his detector wasn't that good. I would probably need a detector that could pinpoint good stuff surrounded by iron.

Really?! Well, I guess that is motivation to get in there with a machine. All you would need is an entry to mid level machine, depending on finances, and a pinpointer...especially for around the rocks in the walls. It doesn't matter what detector you buy...it's only as good as the person operating it.

HH & Great digs ahead

I've found more IHs on the surface than digging them.

Always look down!

Very nice coin
wow2.gif

Beautiful Indian. Personally, I wouldn't clean it anymore. Looks good as is. How about doing dome sifting of that dirt. You could build something simple and see if there is anything else there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back