Recluse Leaves $10,000 Fortune Buried in Jars

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Recluse Leaves $10,000 Fortune Buried in Jars - Gives Directions for Finding Money in Scribbled Will

Eureka, Ill., Oct. 3 - AP - Henry W. Onnen, 65 year old wealthy recluse, often voiced his mistrust in banks; his scorn for courts, judges and lawyers.

Before his death last October he had written in his will that "no lawyer, no judge, no court is to have anything to do with my property."

The principal matter of litigation in the Woodford county circuit court this week was Onnen's buried fortune of $10,000 and his heirs and their counsel are disputing whether some of the money he had hoarded has disappeared.

Onnen's will, scribbled in pencil on the back of a 1937 calendar, was found by relatives after his death last Oct. 24. He also had written directions for finding his life's savings.

The will named three of his nephews to take spades and dig under a henhouse "all at once, so there will be no crooked work." They followed directions and found approximately $7,000 -- in eight fruit jars. In one jar was $6,400 in bills; each of the seven others contained 25 and 50 cent pieces, amounting to between $175 and $200 each.

The paper money was for eight nieces and nephews, children of his deceased brother John; the silver was for his two sisters. Another search was directed to an old trunk where about $3,000 was found and which was ordered divided between his sisters.

A suit for an accounting of Onnen's property was filed by his sister, Mrs Fannie A. Beckman, Bottineau, N.D., against her sister, Mrs Lena Upts, a farm wife near Minonk, Ill. Mrs Beckman asked that her sister be forced to give the accounting of their brother's property, claiming he had more money than has been disclosed. She also said among the assets allegedly missing was an old coin collection once appraised at $20,000.

Hearing in the case was continued by Judge Ed Robeson to allow time for depositions to be taken from Mrs Beckman.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Funny...he writes...."no lawyer, no judge, no court is to have anything to do with my property." and the first thing his family does is start filing suits regarding his property?? lol

I don't think I will ever understand those that feel they are "owed" some of what someone else has earned...it is beyond me! I tell my grandma to spend every single cent she has before she leaves...she says she can't do that, she has to make sure she at least covers funeral expenses.....uh why? Did she not take care of us when she was around? Is it not the least we can do to pay that and celebrate that all the money she worked hard for and saved for was spent on her enjoying those things she dreamed about? grrrrr Like I said, I don't understand it.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread.

Lots of lessons to be learned!

:icon_study:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Cool story, thanks for sharing! I've heard about two others similar to this... one treasure was found by someone... the other, we are still looking for it.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Brett where you looking?!?
Stay out of Elgin pal!
It's mine!

I like crazy old coots.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Yeah, my Dad and I were looking... but it's not in Elgin! Heh heh heh.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The legal mess/entanglements were completely predictable.

The old coot probably didn't give a rat's behind as to the impact upon his heirs. >:(

Many old timers would just as soon have their coffin stuffed with their goodies instead of adequate planning for heirship. :tongue3:

The lawyers will be happy with the old coot's (lack of) planning, and when they spend his hoards! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread