Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Good for you Coily.......personally I'm partial to my .45 1911's. One is a Sprinfield Armory carry weapon with match barrel, and adj. sights. The other is a Caspian Arms made here in Hardwick Vt......compensated bll, full Match build. Recoils less than a .22, and shoots 1 1/2 in groups at 50 yards......ah the memories of the past shoots are flooding back......Gary
Gary still not sure if you've accepted my apology or not but in any case would you happen to know a guy up your way who goes by the handle "nickle" and owns a reloading company ?

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I reserve the +p for anyone who might try to mess with me and mine,wad cutters for practice.

Were going to gradiate you to a .41 magnum,you'll be shooting with the big boys then :laughing9:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah.. I wouldn't sweat it BC.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bandit,

No problem here, and don't anticipate any in the future, sometimes I can be a cranky old man and set off some people...but we are more than fine. Not familiar with the person, where is he located?.......Gary

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have tried this gun with a plastic aftermarket magazine and a steel vintage M-16 mag I bought on GunBrokers. Same result with both. I really don't think it's a feeding issue.

Check the feeding ramp of the chamber,might have a bur on it.First thing I ever did after I bought a gun,pistol or rifle,was to strip it and polish all the moving parts with crocus cloth,I did the chamber too.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Bandit,

No problem here, and don't anticipate any in the future, sometimes I can be a cranky old man and set off some people...but we are more than fine. Not familiar with the person, where is he located?.......Gary
Green Mountain Ammunition Co. Bristol/Pittsford VT. Owner is a good friend I've known for many years. Only his friends know him as "Nickle" though.

Last edited:

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not familiar with them, but may know him....used to shoot matches at the Pittsford F and G range.....but that was over 20 years ago......Gary

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Check the feeding ramp of the chamber,might have a bur on it.First thing I ever did after I bought a gun,pistol or rifle,was to strip it and polish all the moving parts with crocus cloth,I did the chamber too.
Red if it's not picking up the next round it's gas related, buffer too long, something binding causing the bolt not to retract all the way, etc. but that's a good thought. If I'm reading it correctly it's ejecting the first rd but leaving him with an empty chamber ? Or are you having to manually eject even the first round ?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yes. It's ejecting the first round but not loading the next. Empty chamber.
Good point. The bolt carrier does seem rough. Powder coated? It is very hard to rack the first shell. Should racking the first shell be fairly easy? So again, I think it's either an issue with the spring, or there's too much friction in the bolt carrier.

Last edited:

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try taking the upper receiver off.....clean good with alcohol.....and check the bolt and bolt race for any burrs, or heavy grease.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont know much about ARs,so basically I'm guessing at the diagnostics.If it not loading the second round,the bolt most likely isnt being thrown back far enough in order to pick it up the second.Your gas port could be clogged (metal shavings or whatever)or just plain not big enough.The only gas operated semi auto I had before the SKS was an M1 carbine and that operated dead nuts on,so i cant say anything about that one.I'm just guessing here so bear with me.The semi auto rifles I owned always racked the first round easy,even brand spanking new, .22s up to the carbine,the SKS was fairly easy too even though it was still cosmolined lol

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
GD This is why I love AK47s!
FN FAL. Way more accurate than most AKs, will drop most anything that lives in North America with 1 round, adjustable gas system, .308 caliber, used by 90 countries including most of NATO for many years. Tons of parts & mags available. What's not to like.... :laughing7:

Attachments

• rhodesian para finished.jpg
    rhodesian para finished.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 57

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was heavy, but I was partial to my M1A1 National Match when I shot 3-gun matches.....too bad I had to give it back to Springfield Armory when I finished with it.....they did allow me to keep the 2 1911's though......Gary

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good night all.. Work tomorrow for me, get all the kinks out of the shiny new thread for us!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread