REDs PATRIOTIC BUNKER

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If this is an M-16 or an AR-15...Could there be a problem with your spring in your lower receiver?

Ed T
I dont know much about ARs said:
Thanks, Ed, I'm not sure what spring in my lower you are referring to...but there is a big spring in the stock that pushes against the bolt carrier when it fires.
Based on all the great feedback I've gotten from the folks on this thread, I really think that I have one or two problems.
1- the buffer spring is too strong, and/or
2- the bolt carrier has too much friction.

I will go down these paths and let you all know what happens!
Thank you everybody and thank you Red for making this possible!

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FN FAL. Way more accurate than most AKs, will drop most anything that lives in North America with 1 round, adjustable gas system, .308 caliber, used by 90 countries including most of NATO for many years. Tons of parts & mags available. What's not to like.... :laughing7:

I posted this on the previous, deleted thread...I have a friend who immigrated from South Africa. He carried a FN FAL when he was in the SA Military in the 1970s. He said it could hole an engine block at a quarter mile.
Certainly this would be the optimum defense weapon. But the reason I go back to the AK47 is the accessibility of parts, the low cost and the ease that one can build them today with garage tools.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to buy an AK when me and my brother inlaw went to the NH gunshow.Actually he was going to buy it.They priced out at roughly 400 bucks,not enough on him.Recently we were at a gunshop in his town he lives in.Now theyre up over 700 bucks,

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FN FAL. Way more accurate than most AKs, will drop most anything that lives in North America with 1 round, adjustable gas system, .308 caliber, used by 90 countries including most of NATO for many years. Tons of parts & mags available. What's not to like.... :laughing7:

I made this point on a previous (deleted) forum.

I have a friend who carried a FN FAL in the South African military in the 1970s. He said it could hole an engine block at a quarter mile. But I still go back to the AK47 due to its accessibility of parts and the fact that most anyone can build a reliable gun with garage tools. I've done just that several times.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't know if it will make a difference but I just posted on the thread started by pippinwhitepaws and titled "jersyben" that in the spirit of the Christmas truce thread I propose that they simply leave us alone and we will do the same for them. We're never going to change any minds anyway. I haven't got a response so far to my offer but I feel it's fair and a friendly gesture. What say the rest of ya ?

I stay away because no matter what I say there, I get in trouble or get a vacation.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to interrupt a conversation about the AR, but I don't own one, and at my age don't want one. I'm from the era of the M1 Garand, and 30-06 is my favorite cartridge. I shouldn't say that, my favorite cartridge is the 45-70 loaded with black powder under a 405 grain bullet. Can't really shoot my 73 Springfield though, my old eyes can't see the sights. But using 165 grain SPBT bullets in my hand loads, fired from my model 70 Winchester mounted with a Springfield Armory scope, it will cut clover leafs at 100 yards. Regarding Dove hunting. Can you just go ahead and eat the bones also, they don't look to me like there is more there than one bite per bird??? Also, would I be violating the political ban if I said something about going Dove hunting with Dick Cheney??? I probably won't be able to do much hunting anymore, I'm not getting around well, but I did kill a nice black tail buck this season, using the '06 I just mentioned. I don't have any special recipe for venison, just flower it and fry it. Anyhow Red, good luck on this thread, I think it's a good idea.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well hot-diggity-dog! I was just about to throw in the towel with this site and low and behold I see THIS thread!!!! Been over at the brother in laws place today shooting clay pigeons with my new Benelli Super Nova 12 GA......sweet gun. Had a blast.

Refreshing to see this thread. Way to go RJC.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd take a 30.06 myself except for the ammo cost.Recently I saw some 3000 rounds of 7,62x39 advertised on craigslist for 200 bucks.Cant go wrong there this day and age.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well hot-diggity-dog! I was just about to throw in the towel with this site and low and behold I see THIS thread!!!! Been over at the brother in laws place today shooting clay pigeons with my new Benelli Super Nova 12 GA......sweet gun. Had a blast.

Refreshing to see this thread. Way to go RJC.

It aint over till the fat lady sings,and she hasnt even opened her mouth yet.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats the trouble with mail order.When I want something I want it now lol.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I broke out laughing so hard I cried when I saw this thread ! Right On !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, hopefully sex, though at the age of 65 those are just distant memories. Maybe knitting would be best...

Speak for yourself, I'm 65 and all parts still working. ..:D

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so glad you started this thread RJC. Thanks in advance for the warm welcome. :hello:

I don't know much about AKs and SKSs but I do like my fishing and metal detecting. I'm on my way to do

one of the above in just a few minutes. Happy New Year

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread