Reinfected with The Hunting Bug

CaliGal

Jun 10, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Red Baron RB-7 (inherited from my Gramps, never used) Parents used to take us out detecting in mid-1970's--fun times! Caught the bug early, reignited here in OK.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

CaliGal here. Third gen Los Angelina, tho lately of Central Oklahoma. Was infected early and well with The Hunting Bug by my parents. Early metal detector hobbyists -- mid-1970s. After dinner, we'd pile into the station wagon & hit up local parks, school grounds, beaches, etc. in the South Bay area of So Cal. It was great for my parents, cuz they had three built-in diggers in my sisters & I! Boy, did we learn to HATE pull tabs!!! But my mom, never one to give up easily, unearthed two diamond rings that my dad had dismissed as pull tabs. I still have one of them. Of course we amassed jars and jars of pennies and tons of modern silver coins too. My favorite find, I can still recall today--40 years later--was a tiny 'cache' probably wrapped in a hankie by some little girl & buried & forgotten in a grass field of an elementary school in Torrance, CA. We dug up two early style Girl Scout pins, 2 Buffalo nickels (our first non 'modern' coins!), several pennies and two buttons. I just remember being so touched by the assemblage, buried & never retrieved!

Anyhow, include trips thu the So Cal mountains & deserts following old mining trails in my grandpa's old dune buggy (he himself an avid rock hound, not surprisingly as hus dad was a stone mason himself!), a trip to Sharks Tooth Mountain (??) somewhere in the Owen's Valley up past Bakersfield (??) (I still have a box of the petrified teeth I dug up, oh & I've tested positive for Valley Fever ever since --- thanks, mom & dad! lol) & many hours scouring junky old swap meets & antique shops: in short I was infected with The Hunting Bug early and well.

Really, the biggest surprise is that I resisted it's recurrance for so long. Tho being a busy field biologist & being able to collect feathers, shiny rocks, random bones, etc., probably helped keep it at bay. But now I find myself in Central Oklahoma & semi-retired with some time on my hands. I was ok til a couple weeks ago when hubby and I found ourselves out along some RR tracks behind an old Main Street to take pix of the large grain silos (COOP) that, inevitably, lie along the tracks just beyond. As he shot pix, I noticed a TON of broken glass scattered along the ground. Nothing great, but some awesome (authentically) sun-purpled glass bits. Lots of old, rusty RR spikes, and even scattered lumps of shiny black coal from olden trains! I collected it all (see pic) with a mind for using some of it in my jewellery making hobby, possibly running some of it thru my little rock tumbler first. Well, that was my utter undoing. I'm full-blown gone now. And being in Oklahoma, with it's low levels of development, wow! So many great nooks & crannies to explore -- historical stuff from the last century (my fav, oddly), Indian stuff of course, Civil War, Calvalry, Chisholm Trail & other cowboy stuff....You name it, Oklahoma could have it!

Well, enough typing, I got stuff to hunt. Until I get my new battery packs for my old RB-7 from Tesoro (thanks, Alan!!!) I'm hunting glass and stone. Lusting for a proper Indian arrowhead -- no detector short-cut for finding that! I'll post some pix of my finds. Till then happy hunting, y'all! :hello:

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great post thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from the Alamo City. You've got what's left of the earliest mountains in America east of you (Ouachita)and plains to the west. Many Indian groups forcefully settled in Oklahoma(Indian Territory). Down in Lawton Geronimo is buried and there should be artifacts all over the state. All types of points, all areas of time. Good luck on your hunts...

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard CaliGal! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Oklahoma for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome back to the hobby....and best of luck!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the party from another stuck in Oklahoma. Great place to play and I guess live. found plenty of arrowheads and the like. Looking forward to your finds as well. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNET Cali Gal and I really enjoyed reading your introduction very much and thanks for sharing it with us. I wish you many great finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread