Relic hunting near Hilton Head?

shakey

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2007
Hey everyone,

My wife and I are new to MDing but have certainly caught the bug! We really enjoy this website, and would like to thank all the people who post here. We have learned alot in the past few weeks. Our passion is relic hunting, though the few old coins we've found are the prizes of our small collection thus far.

We will be on vacation at Hilton Head island SC in middle June. Does anyone know of any areas that we could get permission to hunt? Or any other suggestions for that general area. We have never hunted a beach. Are beaches legal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again!

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I can't help you on the specific info you are looking for, but I would like to welcome you to TNET! The people here are outstanding at helping new people, so I'm sure someone can give some advice.

HH!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I spend the winter across the river on Tybee Island. You are in SC and I'm in GA but I assume the rules are close. The beaches are open for detecting but make sure you cover your holes completely. If not, the beach patrol will get after you and may kick you off the beach. The property owner owns the land to the low time mark. They can technically kick you off but I never have any trouble.

The beaches there are replenished or nourished beaches so you get a lot of marine crap - bolts, wire, nails, etc. that has been dredged off the bottom - all galvanized so your detector doesn't see it as iron. Not good. Then you've got the lead weights from fishing. Lots of them.

The beaches on my side are pretty well hunted to death. Lots and lots of buried crushed beer cans, bottle caps, pull tabs, to drive you crazy. People won't walk 20 yards to throw away their crap, they bury it for you. You get to find it and throw it away and they bury more of it that day so you can find it again tomorrow.

Lots of black sand and minerals so a PI machine is almost a must for the wet parts of the beach.

All the historical sites in the area are off limits - Fort Pulaski, Fort Screven, etc. All the wild beaches, Little Tybee Island, Osabaw, etc. are nature centers owned by the State or Nature Trusts and they are off limits. When I first went there, I wanted to hunt the outer islands and other uninhabited areas but I could not find any that were not closed to detecting - not strictly detecting but removal of any items from the area.

Maybe since you are on the rich side of the river, you will do better on the beach - more coins (I found a lot of pennies), maybe some jewelry (found only costume), or maybe something historical.

Next winter, I am going to try and find some places to hunt inland. Can you imagine going to the beach and having to go to town and hunt the kiddie parks, chip lots, and sand volleyball courts. I would like to find some places with some civil war history and am thinking about joining a club to get access to some places. You might consider the same thing.

Let me know if i can help. Sort of been there. Done that.

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread