Relics in Maryland?

T

TreasureTales

Welcome to TreasureNet. I live on the opposite side of the country from you, but there are some general tips that seem to help newbies everywhere.

Since you live in or near a large urban area, look for buildings and homes that are being torn down and try to obtain permission to hunt the property when the workers aren't around. Or follow the dump trucks to where they dump the topsoil from such sites and detect the spoil (the removed soil) when the trucks dump it.

Check with the local historical society to see if anyone there can give you some leads. Just be very open and honest and tell them your intentions. Sometimes the volunteers will give you ideas or occassionally even offer to let you detect their own properties. Join a metal detecting club and get information from other members.

Read about the history of the area and use maps to study the areas as they were then and as they are today. You might get lucky and find some place that isn't off limits. Always try to obtain permission from property owners prior to entering their lands.

Join some organizations that specialize in preserving historic places and offer to metal detect the area for them. You might not get to keep what you find, but you'll have the pleasure of finding the stuff. I have done this myself and it is very rewarding and much appreciated.

Relics vary widely. What type of relics are you interested in? Colonial? Revolutionary War? Civil War? Here in the West we are interested in Lumber Camp relics, Ghost Town relics, and Mining relics. Farming relics can be found all across the country. Urban relics are also found all over.

Hope you post frequently and let us know how you are doing. Happy Hunting!

Huntr1

Oct 26, 2005
Mechanicsville, MD
bullfly79 said:
??? New to site and living in Baltimore MD, wondering if any one has experience or info on MDing in MD? Checked a couple websites but nothing really most good spots are state owned and illegal to hunt, Thanks guys...
There is an abandoned railroad line, Ma & Pa RR. Runs from B'more to York. Tracks gone, bed still there. Bridge abutments are still there on York Rd. in Towson. I'd try there.

Towson Univ. has a nice wooded area between the dormotories and the educational buildings. Good area to try.

Loch Raven would be a good place.

Lots of construction sights in Fells Point. May get lucky and find one you can hit. In an area like that, can't HELP but find something.

Lots and lots of abandonded buildings now owned by city. Take a buddy and go.

Druid Hill Park is really old.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
bullfly79 said:
??? New to site and living in Baltimore MD, wondering if any one has experience or info on MDing in MD? Checked a couple websites but nothing really most good spots are state owned and illegal to hunt, Thanks guys...

I have checked out the state park regulations in MD and can find nothing specifically prohibiting it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread