Relics of NYC Worlds Fair: Eyesores or icons?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relics of NYC World's Fair: Eyesores or icons?

NEW YORK (AP) — They were designed for the 1964 World's Fair as sleek, space-age visions of the future: three towers topped by flying-saucer-like platforms, and a pavilion of pillars with a suspended, shimmering roof that was billed as the "Tent of Tomorrow."

628x471.jpg

That imagined tomorrow has come and gone. Now the structures are abandoned relics, with rusted beams, faded paint and cracked concrete.

628x4714.jpg

As the fair's 50th anniversary approaches, the remains of the New York State Pavilion are getting renewed attention, from preservationists who believe they should be restored, and from critics who see them as hulking eyesores that should be torn down. Neither option would come cheap: an estimated $14 million for demolition and $32 million to $72 million for renovation.

Republican Herald | News | republicanherald.com

S

stefen

First you will always get at least 2 opinions or sides...Then you have the politicians making the final choice...And not always a popular (good) decision...

Our country has a lot of historic monuments and features that should remain for the generations to come...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our country has a lot of historic monuments and features that should remain for the generations to come...

792011-6722aef8-87b7-11e3-92e1-07d47f226b83.jpg
The Clos Pegase Winery in Napa Valley

of course I'm not sure on this one ...
it's just Wrong !
monuments-blog-ballerina.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
S

stefen

At least I don't have an opinion on every....excuse me while I throw up...

Where'd you ever find the cross dressing clown?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread