What's new

religious medallian

coin1921

Full Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
123
Reaction score
32
Golden Thread
0
Location
Manitoba, Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Deus V 3.2
Bounty Hunter Water Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This piece was found in the old park in The Pas, Manitoba as well, and was close to the old original catholic Church. It gave a good penny signal, and was at about 8 inches. I did a little checking and the date on the piece is the same year that Pope Pius 1X was in the US, and stopped in Minnesota for the opening a new church. If any one has any information on this I would appreciate hearing from them.
 

Attachments

  • pope0004.webp
    pope0004.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 569
  • pope.webp
    pope.webp
    41 KB · Views: 564
Upvote 0
Religious medallions are great, but it seems I dig a lot of bottle caps to find them!!!!!
 
Yep. I remember a hunt last year when I was digging aluminum sidding off a house every two seconds it seemed like. Another signal another dig and I found a St. Christopher visor clip made out of Aluminum. It was cool.

That is why whenever I am detecting and serious you will see me dig everything, you never know what you are going to find...
 
Top legend translates:
"Oh, Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee."
Date appears as 1830.
I believe the top image is called the Medal of the Immaculate Conception (aka Miraculous Medal), a medal created by Saint Catherine Labouré in response to a request from the Blessed Virgin Mary who allegedly appeared rue du Bac, Paris, in 1830.
 
Great medallion!
 
I will have a look tonight to see if there is another letter hidden by the reflection. I will also check the date, but I am reasonably sure that it is 1850.
 
I stand corrected. You are correct, the date is 1830. There is no letter between the O and the X. Thanks for the translation of the script.
 
I love it! I feel safer somehow when I find a religious item.....WTG on your beautiful find!

HH,
Moon
 
1830 would not be the date this was produced.

He was Pope from 1846 til 1878. I don't believe he ever visited the U.S. though. However, he was HUGE in the U.S. in gaining Catholic population and the formation of many new churches. Very popular here.

Many Catholic pendants/medallions have dates on them that simply commemorate something... a vision, sainthood, etc. First glance at this makes me think is a more modern piece (1940's to current).

Still in all, a very cool find!
 
As I mentioned, 1830 is only the date of the event the medallion is commemorating. I believe the date of the medallion is 1870. Since this Pope's reign was between 1846 and 1878, the ANNO XXIV probably stands for the 24th year of his reign; or 1870.
Don........
 
Don,

This may be the year that the medal was issued "and on 8 Dec., 1854, in the presence of more than 200 bishops, he proclaimed the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin as a dogma of the Church."
 
OK: My guess is the date, 1830, on the medallion is the date of the event (the Vision). The date the Pope made his Proclaimation: 1854; and the date of the piece: 1870, during the 24th year of this Pope's reign--which coincided with the 40th anniversary of the event--which this medallion was commemorating.
Don....
 
Thanks much for your input Don,

I consider this solved
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom