remains of body found on S. Yuba River

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Remember the dude who was shooting at Search and Rescue?

Nevada County authorities have positively identified remains found in November off the South Yuba Trail as belonging to Kurt Andrew Collins, a release states.
DNA testing confirmed what authorities suspected at the time — that the remains were those of Collins, a suspect in the August 2016 shooting of Placer County Sheriff's Office Search & Rescue member Steve Wolf.
Sheriff Keith Royal said Collins' body was badly decomposed, though it appeared there was no foul play in the death.
"It's very, very difficult, if not impossible, to determine his cause of death," Royal said.
A backlog of cases led to the delay in identifying the remains, the sheriff said.
A runner in late November spotted the remains about four miles downstream of Washington. He called authorities, who found the body. No personal identification was nearby.
[h=2]Recommended Stories For You[/h]
Collins, a gold prospector who lived in the wilderness near Washington for two decades, was considered a person of interest in the July 2016 murder of Michael Mahoney, the release states.
Authorities said they also considered Collins a person of interest in the 2013 disappearance of Joseph Charles Murphy, known as Black Dog Joe. Murphy prospected for gold with Collins before he disappeared.
Authorities said they've suspended both the homicide and missing person cases, pending any new developments.

Upvote 0

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it is unfortunate he is deceased, but the good news is the likelihood of being shot while prospecting in that area has most likely been drastically reduced. Now the only "crazies" a guy needs to worry about are the Cartel pot growers on USFS land. And in my eyes that is a lower priority problem, if you keep track of your seasons and exposures.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just checking but Washington refers to Washington city. One hella bar there. Been the destination for allot of rides. In fact one late, late night with pool and suds me and my buddy decided that the road that continues thru town was dark and wobbly so we pushed our bikes off the road into a moonlite sand bar. Rolled out the bags and polished of every bit of left over stuff . Next thing I remember to this very day at the crack of dawn was how shiny those black shoes where that appeared just inches from my eyes. Yep...a cop with an old curmuggin that was insisting we get tickets for sleeping on his sand. Well, it involved a later trip to the local court house and departed with $35.00 bucks less in our wallets. Just enough left for a couple of gallons in the tanks and a straight trip up for more pool and suds. By the way those upper rooms at that bar are paper thin so careful what ya do if you don't want the whole dang place to know...HA!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it is unfortunate he is deceased, but the good news is the likelihood of being shot while prospecting in that area has most likely been drastically reduced. Now the only "crazies" a guy needs to worry about are the Cartel pot growers on USFS land. And in my eyes that is a lower priority problem, if you keep track of your seasons and exposures.
Unfortunate? The guy was a lunatic. Suspected of several murders including the missing person the search party he attempted to murder were looking for. Good ridance, i hope he suffered.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try not to wish anyone's death. He was apparently a nuisance and a menace. The bottom line is he isn't going to be a problem anymore and that is a good thing. I didn't know him, but had only heard stories and I am happy that the local miners can now drop their guards a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread