Remington 16 gage shotshell head. Is it rare?

Texasbootz

Greenie
Dec 5, 2023
Buda, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this shotshell head in Tecmxas along the El Camino Real de los Tejas trail. Any idea on age and scarcity?
Screenshot_20240220_164938_Brave.jpg

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The page your screenshot is from is in order by age, oldest to newest. The date last seen above your head stamp is 1942, so I'm guessing it's later than that. I don't know if it's rare.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yours headstamp isn't that old. (Depending on your definition of old.) I don't mean to devalue it. As the user was likely quite content with it. And it's old enough to save. I try to save an oldest after looking up unfamiliar ones. But end up not discarding as much as I might....
You can drive the primer out of it and screw it to something. Like a knob /handle. "high brass" works better but all will work.
Or make a button out of it.
Or use it for an inlay.
or a walking sticks handles butt cap.
Or a kind of a hook to hang something onto.
Or leave it as is.
Or???

16's had thier day.
For pheasants and more here in the midwest.
A bit tamer than a twelve gauge. And a payload study can spark good debate about efficiency.

1926 was not a good year for the 16 though. It got bumped out of the running for permitted skeet use. (See attached link to an article.)
Yes there were users not complaining in the fields hunting game. the 50's and 60's still saw 16's in play.
Outside of reloaders though , as the 16 fell out of use the ammo costs and availability had to factor.
Which in my opinion (worth a coffee or single round of 16 maybe) was a tough kick in the shins the 16 really didn't deserve.
I acquired one a while back I'm looking forward to trying.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
16 ga and 28 ga were common sizes, but haven’t been as popular as 12 ga or 20 ga in this area for years.
Both calibers were worthy, if used at the proper distances for the intended game species.

jose159

Jul 15, 2021
SW Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I started small game hunting with my grandfathers model 12 16 ga, I had to use paper shells as the plastic ones would not eject properly. I still have the gun and will pass it on to my oldest grandson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions