What's new

Republic Button???

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang, I got out a little while this afternoon in the 1870's homestead yard. Attached is a pic of part of a button (I think). It is smaller than a dime, and has the word REPUBLIC at the bottom with a sun with rays in the center. :dontknow: The symbol looks Asian to me. I think there is some script on the top, and will post another pic after it is cleaned. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • 05-22-2010RepublicButton.webp
    05-22-2010RepublicButton.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 200
It there anything on the back or does it look like the back is missing?
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
It there anything on the back or does it look like the back is missing?

VaY, the back is missing. Any ideas? Breezie
 

Attachments

  • 05-22-2010 RepublicButtonBack.webp
    05-22-2010 RepublicButtonBack.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 0
I'm thinking it's probably a cover all or work jacket button. I could be wrong though. Maybe someone will know for sure.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I'm thinking it's probably a cover all or work jacket button. I could be wrong though. Maybe someone will know for sure.

Aren't most cover-all and/or work jacket buttons are heavy, like those buttons on bluejeans? This is very thin and light weight.

I'm searching the sun/rays symbol. It reminds me of the Japanese kamikaze flag.

Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Some of the coverall and work jacket buttons are thin and cheaply made. Like I said I could be wrong. I hope you can find out something definite about it.
 
Upvote 0
The iron back may have rusted away leaving the thin brass cover. I search a little and cant find it. All I can say is its not Spanish. ;D The Banana Republic?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
The iron back may have rusted away leaving the thin brass cover. I search a little and cant find it. All I can say is its not Spanish. ;D The Banana Republic?

Yes, I think you are right about the back rusting away. I did a search on the Banana Republic jackets, coats, and anything that would have a metal button, but didn't see anything. I think this is much older than Banana Republic. Thanks for looking, Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom