Research books

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Someone mentioned going to historical societies to get research help (ie books/maps etc..)
Be very wary of these guys! At least in the town I live in these guys will run you down for your treasure. Don't tell them your spots, don't show them your treasure. You will lose it....and never, never, never let the historical society borrow a find for a display. You will most definately lose it. The town I live in has had several happenings of theft in the historical society, and they have been priceless items that have gone "missing".

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good advice there Skrimpy. These historical people will help you find the info your looking for if they just think your interested in knowledge. Never mention metal detecting to them. The advice is correct also in NEVER loaning them items even if they want to give you a receipt. You'd have to go to court to get it back and then it's gone anyway and you'll never even recover court costs. Archeologist's are even lower than lawyers.

Sandman

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
Amen to all the above. We are the Great Unwashed and don't deserve and can't be trusted with a piece of history, and it is their solemn duty to "rescue" any such items.

This is not universal by all means, and hopefully not even common, but do be careful.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Museum in my town was granted $400,000 in federal funds. They ended up with nothing for some reason. About the same time after 9/11 the army called them about an old artillery piece that belongs to a private family, who has taken care of it for over 60 years.

THEY broke down the fence while the peps were gone and actually tried to steal the artillery piece. Which of course they were going to show to the Fed gov as proof of money spent. They didn't get the piece, didn't have any criminal charges filed against them, and somehow has managed to tie the private family up in court in dispute of the piece.

What a bunch o dirt bags!!

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Sandman256 said:
Very good advice there Skrimpy. These historical people will help you find the info your looking for if they just think your interested in knowledge. Never mention metal detecting to them. The advice is correct also in NEVER loaning them items even if they want to give you a receipt. You'd have to go to court to get it back and then it's gone anyway and you'll never even recover court costs. Archeologist's are even lower than lawyers.

Sandman

Made the mistake of asking the "histerical" society here about metal detecting and an old mill pond and his response was that the mill had been worked over a great deal but the pond hadn't been touched. I probably should have kept my mouth closed on that one. They've probably picked it completely clean by now. I havent had a chance to get up there yet.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
wolfs in sheeps clothing in many cases --lurk in "historical " groups -- some are we must get things out of the hands of the "public" --and under our lock and key --- others are just plain ole crooks --simply put --- some are otherwize decent folks but treasure or other things of value --the greed bug gets em --"treasure of serria madre" style

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread