jlbass

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2015
West TN/North MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! I have come across some info regarding a camp site near some family friends property. It is about 400 acres with about another 400 of a cousin of theirs owns that I can detect. It's alot of land and I've looked a couple of times but found no Civil War relics. The officers note I found mentions the family farm by name and 5 companies of calvary camped there for 4 days so they should have left some stuff I'm figuring. It is near a well traveled road but my problem is I can't find any old maps of the area so I don't know if the road has changed course at some point. I talked to my friend's 96 year old grandfather and he never remembered any of the old timers during his day talk about soldiers that camped in the area. Not to be any more long winded but are there any resources or tips any of yall could give a newbie lol? Where would be a good place to find old maps? Everything I have turned up online about that road is very vague. Any help would be appreciated fellas! Thanks again.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you know where the old home sat on the family farm? I'd start there.

S

stefen

Try USGS maps...older versions nearest 1900's...

They should indicate the locations of buildings, roads, streams and other culture...

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would have needed water and usually camped near it. Check around any springs or streams. Also, we have had a lot of success on high tops near our camp sites. They usually had look outs or pickets there. Finding the camp is half the fun. Keep us posted.

HH, Relic Nut

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look on the US Dept of Interior website, you should find the maps on there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions