Restoring a Luftwaffe buckle

Admiral

Newbie
Oct 21, 2023
3
3
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning everyone,

Couple of minutes new here, looking for your advice.
Recently I found an iron Luftwaffe belt buckle from WW2 while metal detecting. Unfortunately it was in a pretty sorry state.
My brother and I took it to a first round of electrolysis because initially we thought it could handle it.
However, when we checked after a while it turned out that a piece of the buckle had broken off.
It seems the buckle is rusted to the core on some places and we are uncertain what to do now.Do you have any tips to make this 'as good as it can still be'? I've seen tips on vinegar, steel whool/brush, maybe even a very small sensitive dremel?
Anyway, I hope you guys can give me some tips to preserve this lovely piece of history.
Attached are some photo's of original find, after the round of electrolysis and an original of how it looked in the 1940s.

Cheers,
Admiral

IMG-20231013-WA0029.jpeg

20231021_113008.jpg

20231021_113120.jpg

wwii-german-luftwaffe-belt-buckle2.jpg
 

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
1,942
8,977
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a big fan of Evaporust ... but based on what you've run into with the electrolysis, it might be too far gone to have much success in restoring.
 

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
5,296
12,597
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your buckle looks like it is pretty far gone. Sad! I just sold a couple of Luftwaffe items my grandfather brought back from Italy in WW2. I’m getting old and cutting loose of my treasure.
IMG_2386.jpeg
IMG_2387.jpeg
IMG_2388.jpeg
 

OP
OP
Admiral

Admiral

Newbie
Oct 21, 2023
3
3
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Felt like sharing the result after some attempts to clean it up.
Some soaks in vinegar and further some buffing with a dremel and sand paper (very carefully and it was a gamble).
Used some epoxy glue to fit the pieces together again and buffed that with sand paper as well.
Actually quite happy with the result as I think this is as good as it could get.
 

Attachments

  • 20231025_200335.jpg
    20231025_200335.jpg
    946.6 KB · Views: 17

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Top