Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if this rambles a bit, but here goes:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I headed up to my parent's house this weekend for the Minnesota fishing opener, and I left Thursday night.

My plan was to CRH my way from my parents house to my Grandma's house about an hour away on Friday and do some metal detecting at her house before she sells it (which may be soon) as well as the old (early 1900s) school that was torn down across the street and is now a park.

Well, Friday morning I got off to a bit of a late start (about 10 am).

For the first few stops I figured I would stop by a few banks in parents hometown that are closed on Saturdays since I am usually only able to be there on weekends.

Started the day with about $2000 in bills and $1000 in coin rejects.

Bank #1
* Cashed in about $700 in penny, nickel, and dime rejects to give myself more cash for the day (kept the $250 or so in presearched loose halves to fill up a half dollar bag should I run into a partial that needs to be filled before I can buy it).
* Picked up the half dollar bag from the coin machine (contained $274 in loose halves) and when I saw it I knew it would be decent, could see the silver through the plastic. ;D

Bank #2
* They had in $743.50 in loose/handrolled halves, so I got those. They also had about $250 in machine rolled halves, but those were all 2000-P so I left those at the bank.

Bank #3
No halves

Bank #4
$20 in loose halves

Bank #5
$47 in loose halves

Bank #6
No halves

Bank #7
* Said they had no halves, but when I inquired about the coin machine, they said yeah but the bag is not full so can't sell it. When I asked how close it was they said "real close". Turns out it $19.50 short of $1000. So I filled the bag and got another $980.50. As I was paying they asked if I was treasure hunting, so I said "yeah". At which point she said, well this bag might be good, she can't remember it ever being pulled before and she had been there for at least 5 years.
* Also note they were extremely grateful to get rid of the bag since they couldn't sell halves to the Fed until they had $2000 and they didn't know what they were going to do with the bag once it was full since it took soooo long to fill. Always happy to help out like that... ;D

At this point I still hadn't left my parent's town and had only been out for about an hour or so and picked up about $2050 in half dollars, leaving me with only $700 in cash and a bunch of banks between my parent's house and my grandma's house. So I decided to do a quick date search, eat lunch, and ignore all the error checking except 74-D, 77-D, 82-P, 83-P, and 90-P. That way I also could cash in at a bank I will not likely be at for a long time, if ever again.

Results from Bank #1
--------------------
3 - 90% Kennedy (1964(2), 1964-D)
19 - 40% Kennedy (1965, 1966, 1967(5), 1968-D(6), 1969-D(6))
1 - 1987-P <---my second 1987 and my first P
1 - 2004-P
1 Foreign
Phillipines, 1 Piso (1990)

Results from Bank #2
--------------------
Obviously searched for silver as it only produced a 1973-S Proof Kennedy.

Results from Bank #3, #4, and #6
--------------------------------
Skunk

Results from Bank #5
--------------------
1 - 40% Kennedy (1967)

Results from Bank #7
--------------------
1 Walker (Dateless) <---Kindof looks like the last digit is a 7 but too worn to be sure.
4 Franklins (1950-D, 1954, 1962-D, 1963-D)
2 - 90% Kennedy (1964, 1964-D)
27 - 40% Kennedy (1965(2), 1966(2), 1967(15), 1968-D(7), 1969-D)
2 Foreign
Mexico, $500 Peso (1987, 1988)
1 Religious Token
1 Flattened New Hampshire Quarter (almost the size of a half dollar)

Now I finally head out of town around 1:30 - 2:00 (some banks close at like 3:00 so I knew I didn't have much time)
Most of the towns on the way have one, if any, banks.

Bank #8
skunked on $8 in halves

Bank #9
No halves

Bank #10
skunked on $18.50 in halves (from the coin machine)

Bank #11
$110 in handrolled halves
I searched these as I was driving since I had a few minutes between towns.
1 - 40% Kennedy (1966) which I put next to the stick in the center console along with a couple of 1974-D and 1977-D halves. At my next stop I proceeded to put the car in Park a little too quickly havnig forgotten about the few halves I had set down there. Well of course they all scattered and wouldn't you know the only one I couldn't find was the 1966... :P Decided to CRH the car later that weekend when I had time, I did finally find it after about 10 minutes of searching on Sunday.

Bank #12
Skunked on $7.50 in halves

Bank #13
No halves

Bank #14
No halves

Bank #15
Cashed in $2192.50 in halves.
Would have bought the partially full half dollar bag but the teller said she had already searched it and hadn't found much.

Bank #16
1 half dollar

Bank #17
skunked on $14.50 in halves

Bank #18
skunked on $31.50 in halves

Bank #19
$7 in loose halves and 6 hand-rolled rolls of halves.

At this point it was about 4:45 and all banks close by 5, if not earlier, and I was about 5 minutes from my Grandma's house so I proceeded to spend the rest of the time MD'ing in her yard and at the park/old school. But on the way there I glanced at the end of one of the hand rolls from my last bank and saw a 1968-D staring at me, so I looked at the other end and saw another one. I decided to wait until I got home to let my son open the six rolls. Turns out that roll had 10 - 40% Kennedys in it and 1 other roll had 11 - 40% Kennedy in it the rest were skunks.
21 - 40% Kennedy (1967(5), 1968-D(11), 1969-D(5))

All in all a good day of CRHing as I netted
1 Walker
4 Frankilns
5 - 90% Kennedy
69 - 40% Kennedy
1 - 1987-P
1 - 2004-P
and a couple of foreign cions.

And for those who were wondering, the MD'ing was not that great as my grandmas yard was filled with rusty old nails and other junk. Found 2 memorial pennies there. At the park I did a little better, but also quite trashy due to the school being torn down. Did find my first wheat pennies (1951-D and 1952-S) though which made my day. ;D In the same hole no less.

Well, off to the penny bags from last week after I get the young'uns to bed.

Upvote 0
You're out of control, gman. That's some serious CRHing! Nice finds, and MDing is such a great way to finish after a long day of CRHing. I have a cheapo $15 toy metal dectector I use sometimes after the banks close. Found a quarter with it the other day, as well as nails and pull tabs and ball bearings and such---I love finding junk. haha.

19 banks in one day---that's impressive. My record is 12. You're always raising the bar, gman!!!

fiatboy said:
19 banks in one day---that's impressive. My record is 12. You're always raising the bar, gman!!!

I think my record is 28 a couple of months ago which I might have beaten had I not found so many halves near my parents house. Ended up killing 2 hours of banking time date searching through $2000 in halves....lol ;D And there were 14 more banks ahead of me, had I been able to drive an additional 30 minutes or so. Those will have to wait for another day....

GPURS said:
Great job GMAN! I like the detailed report. But you left out a very important tidbit! Did ya catch any fish??? Good luck. Gpurs

Well, yes and no... Was one of the poorer fishing openers I can remember. Caught a bunch of relatively small perch, but those weren't what we were looking for. Ended up catching 4 walleyes as well, but had to throw 3 of them back since they were the protected slot. My son (who's 8) reeled in most of the fish when he wasn't napping on the floor of the boat. He also managed to catch the biggest one (on his own pole without help). It was a 25.5 in walleye (about 6 lbs). Unfortunately, it needed to be 26 to keep it. So we just snapped some quick pictures of him with the fish and let it go.

Amongst all the boats out there near us (and there were quite a few), I think I only saw a little over what would have been our boat's limit of 18 caught and most of those were in the protected slot. Also didn't see a single northern caught all day, which is very unusual since we usually get 6-12 ourselves on the opener.

Didn't go out at all Sunday since it was so windy. The weather changed the night before and I think if it hadn't it would have been good fishing. Oh well, still nice to get out. Probably try again in a couple weeks if I can find a good weekend to go.

packerbacker said:
That silver had to be a good "Fix" for you GMan. ;D You do need help you know?
I personally do not need a "silver" fix. For me it's thrill of the hunt in all denominations, but when I don't have accounts at the banks I usually just ask for halves since they are glad to get rid of them.

In regards to needing help, I am a little behind on my searching for the last week or two...but I can't pay you to help me search.... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back