What's new

Results from first fossil hunt!

Echostatic

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
38
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Dallas, Tx
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in Dallas, Tx and everything is sedimentary around here. While I was disappointed to learn that I would not be finding crystals, gems and whatnot, we do seem to have fossils available. I remember a creek as a kid where the walls were made of crumbly rock, and finding seashells and stuff. On Thursday, after work, I had to go back and take a look to see what I could find.

I believe the rock is slate, as it breaks easily along one direction into thin slabs. I found a ton of shell fragments, too, in less than an hour of poking around. These pictures are lousy, but it's the best I got. They're fossils, believe me!

C74F1ED1-F689-4D75-B9FC-67FDB06FECCC_zpsup6v1uqp.jpg

25532C65-A2BA-47AF-B1B0-5EC36D8DA958_zpsepc7lczs.jpg

D89FF53F-5B6F-466C-BD14-0219D6C7C3FA_zpsj0wlltrn.jpg

CD0F3D71-C99D-4E31-AA32-81C190C4A0D9_zpsxm5oszll.jpg


I will have to try to get a clearer picture of this one, as it is the most interesting. No idea what it is, it looks kind of like a "hoof", though that would not be possible.

CBE333CB-D9C5-4AAC-8838-D4C3038A3900_zpslqicapdk.jpg


I'm going to try to go back tomorrow and see what else I can find. Finding these is ridiculously easy, getting them out of the rock without breaking them is hard. I have to wonder if there is some special technique to removing shells from slate.
 
Slate is metamorphic, not sedimentary rock. All the sedimentary rock around Dallas (AFAIK) are Cretaceous marine sediments. You should be able to find shark teeth.
 
Huh, so it is. Further reading leads me to believe that it is, indeed, shale. There are thin, large layers of a very fragile crystal in among it too. I'll definitely keep an eye out for shark teeth, that'd be an awesome find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom