What's new

Return to Pirates Hill

McCDig

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2015
Messages
3,753
Reaction score
9,039
Golden Thread
1
Location
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing afternoon in Baltimore with the Blue Angels doing aerial practice runs. I think I hunted as much as I watched. At times it was hard to hear the pinpointer over the roar of the engines as the jets seemed to scrape the housetops.

I returned to what I now call "Pirates Hill" to try for some old targets a second time this week. Silver came again, this time as a well-preserved Merc from 1944 and later a 1943S war nickel. Three of the five wheats were earlier ones: 1910, 1912 and 1919. A very toast 1928 Buff emerged. Two unique finds of this hunt were a brass number "1" and a portion of a rosewood mechanical pencil.

...a very memorable afternoon in Baltimore.

Finds.webp
 
Upvote 20
Thanks much, Art. I really like this place, because if you go slow, the faint signals emerge, and when you dig, something's actually down there about 7 inches, maybe deeper.
 
Pirates hill was good to you ,great finds.
 
THX thrift76now! You may have guessed that I'm the pirate.
 
Congrats on the silvers. Hope you can plunder more out of that hill
 
How did the hill get their name? Good hunting and good luck
 
That's cool you got an Air show while finding some amazing coins Great job!!!!!
 
Thanks ScubaDetector. I will probably take the next four to five months to work from north to south along this ridge and then there are the curb strips. Just a lot of area, which is a good thing because there are literally hundreds of good targets.
 
Thanks Tommy. First heard the jets when leaving Five Guys in Canton (harbor side of Baltimore) and that was at 12:30. They were still flying when I was heading home at 3:30. That was a first for me; never seen an air show up until today.
 
Thanks HS! The street that borders this stretch of the park is some high land with a good perspective; that's where I get the "hill" part of the name. As to the "pirate" part, that's me and sort of fits with the port history of the area, seafaring, etc. I'm just pirating what was lost over the past hundred years. Looks like my older finds from these first two hunts date no earlier than 1915, perhaps when the adjacent neighborhoods were built.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom