Rev. in NC

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
I have located an area in N.C. where 900 soldiers camped while chasing Ferguson to the battle of Kings mt. History says that they camped at Alexanders ford on the Green River on their way to Cowpens then to KM. I have obtained permission to hunt 100 acres of land in which the ford is centered. I hunted along the river and all around the ford and found nothing old. (west side of river) My question is Would the Americans had camped on the west side or would they have crossed the river after marching 13 miles and camped on the east side. After dredging through the very thick woods for an hour, for some reason I did not even think to cross over and hunt the other side.

Upvote 0
L

Lucky one

Certain places in NC. Have maps that shows exactly where all the soliders camped, and what route that they took. Lots of times a library with good genealogy will have these maps. I have found serveral musket balls, buttons, etc. looking around camp sites. Hope you have good luck with this. :)

L

Lucky one

Lucky one said:
Certain places in NC. Have maps that shows exactly where all the soliders camped, and what route that they took. Lots of times a library with good genealogy will have these maps. I have found serveral musket balls, buttons, etc. looking around camp sites. Hope you have good luck with this. :)

Sorry I didn't catch this posts earlier...

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
??? RK: I know that Wagon Trains normally Camped on the Far Side of a River in case the water rose during the night!

Could it be they did the same? I'd check it out to be sure!

Joe

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i have an area in nc where over 3000 soldiers camped during rev war at one time...there were multiple encampments here before the battle of guilford courthouse and after also..the site has been eroneously shown in history as being a couple hundred yards off but after going over various records and maps its true site was located....knowing this, and its location i know that the site has never been looked at or detected to any degree ..i also have another area that was used directly after the battle to dress wounded and bury dead...many of them,,,,the one site has just had zoning hearings and is slated to be made into a housing development..its nothing but woods now..anyone wanting more info feel free to pm me, but you had better hurry as housing developments really spring up fast now adays ..........gldhntr

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i would have thought my above post would have generated some interest...everyone here just armchair hunters ?...............once the bulldozers start the fun is over.....g

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
gldhntr said:
i have an area in nc where over 3000 soldiers camped during rev war at one time...there were multiple encampments here before the battle of guilford courthouse and after also..the site has been eroneously shown in history as being a couple hundred yards off but after going over various records and maps its true site was located....knowing this, and its location i know that the site has never been looked at or detected to any degree ..i also have another area that was used directly after the battle to dress wounded and bury dead...many of them,,,,the one site has just had zoning hearings and is slated to be made into a housing development..its nothing but woods now..anyone wanting more info feel free to pm me, but you had better hurry as housing developments really spring up fast now adays ..........gldhntr
Wish I was close to you ! I would be all over that woods!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i would do the other side for sure! good luck!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
worked it about 30-45 minutes...found 6 small relics that sold on ebay for near 600.00....update on the site,, it passed rezoning, and they have 2 years to complete development..and you know that my arguements against it and also the local historical society's arguements were both heard, ignored, and the project passed........as of today not one person from this website has contacted me concerning this site...that tells me there are no serious rev searchers in nc, i guess.........gldhntr

coindiger

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tejon, Minelab Sov. GT
Gldhntr,
I would like to check this site out with you!! Please let me know.... Also, I've sent you a private message with my email address in it.
Thanks,
Scott

Re: Rev. in NC
« Reply #8 on: Today at 07:49:40 AM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
worked it about 30-45 minutes...found 6 small relics that sold on ebay for near 600.00....update on the site,, it passed rezoning, and they have 2 years to complete development..and you know that my arguements against it and also the local historical society's arguements were both heard, ignored, and the project passed........as of today not one person from this website has contacted me concerning this site...that tells me there are no serious rev searchers in nc, i guess.........gldhntr

Geomn50

May 17, 2006
Gldhntr, I would like to take you up on your offer. Will send you a PM.
Charlotte,NC Area
Thanks Mark

Rev.
Lets us know how its going. Keep trying. Once you find it, hit it hard and if you need a buddy Iam not to far.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i'll be happy to provide the info....one has spent a day or so in the area and i think found nothing....two have found some minie balls and other small items.....still intertested ?

C

carolinagirl

I am new to md but I would love to hunt the area. Please email me and I'll be there! I'm in Mooresville NC.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread