🥇 BANNER REV WAR British 31st ROF Grenadiers Cartridge Box Plate!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REV WAR British 31st Grenadiers Cartridge Box Plate....UPDATE

Always dreamt I would find one of these. After about an hour, at the first virgin hole in over a year, me and my brother in law had some luck. Hits were everywhere. A toasted Draped Bust LC, a 1848 LC, buttons and .....THE PRIZE! I knew right away what I had, just couldn't believe my eyes. As I flipped out and screamed to Rich to get over to me, he said....."Ya got silver?" Nope....."Ya got Gold?" Nope......BETTER!!! Then I noticed the 31. There were a lot of prisoners from the 31st taken at Saratoga. Looked for about 15mins for the "GR" with the pin pointer but couldn't locate any of it. FINALLY!!!! After 2 years I have something decent to post! Definitely going back. What a day. Enjoy Hogge Update: I guess it's ok to blat it out now............Made W&E Treasures Magazine Best Finds of 2015. Second time for me. Made it back in 2009, with my Rev War Royal Artillery Belt tip from 2008. They told me last week. Did anyone else find out they made it?? Hogge

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 649
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 505
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 645
  • image7.JPG
    image7.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 475
  • image8.JPG
    image8.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Upvote 64

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd rather find that than a gold coin any day. It's difficult for people to grasp how special of as find that box plate is.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather find that than a gold coin any day. It's difficult for people to grasp how special of as find that box plate is.

And the fact it has to wait around votes clearly shows.... 1) None of the banner choosers have seen it yet... or 2) The banner choosers are among the population who can't grasp this. There's no other way to put it other than it's pure insanity a USA pewter, or one of the more common GW types goes up, but this needs more numbers? I think part of the problem is the average digger does not understand the rarity from WW1/2 era, to common CW plates like a US or breast plate, to fairly rare 1812, and the more typical type Confederate plates posted when they are dug.... to very rare period Rev War plates and the best Confederate ones. (Talking rarity to dig, you'd need a better plate to hang with the best Confederate) I completely understand why it is the way it is, but it's too bad something so good probably won't get the credit it deserves.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the fact it has to wait around votes clearly shows.... 1) None of the banner choosers have seen it yet... or 2) The banner choosers are among the population who can't grasp this. There's no other way to put it other than it's pure insanity a USA pewter, or one of the more common GW types goes up, but this needs more numbers? I think part of the problem is the average digger does not understand the rarity from WW1/2 era, to common CW plates like a US or breast plate, to fairly rare 1812, and the more typical type Confederate plates posted when they are dug.... to very rare period Rev War plates and the best Confederate ones. (Talking rarity to dig, you'd need a better plate to hang with the best Confederate) I completely understand why it is the way it is, but it's too bad something so good probably won't get the credit it deserves.
IP.....This is why I like you so much.....and why I like to read your comments in other posts. I just like the way you express yourself!:occasion14:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
It's hard to determine the value of a find like this. In all likelihood, this could be your most valuable find yet, even more than 1783 CFT KGIII. When it takes more than a simple Google search to find comparable sales figures, you know you've got something special.
I've seen a few nice finds slip through the cracks over the last year or so that absolutely should have made banner, but didn't because they aren't flashy like a gold coin.

IP, I think that some people see GW Buttons, common gold coins, CSA Plates, etc. up top regularly, so they think those are automatic Banner finds and they vote accordingly. Finds like this are so rare that people just don't have any knowledge base to work with, so they see the thread and say "cool find" and move on. That's why it's so important for people like you and the handful of others who understand the rarity, and who have the verbal skills to articulate why this is such an incredible find, to explain it clearly to the less informed.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow what a find. Banner find and one of a kind. Great poker face!

Steve

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP.....This is why I like you so much.....and why I like to read your comments in other posts. I just like the way you express yourself!:occasion14:

I also admire his ability to speak logically about these things. And his willingness to be honest wether people like it or not. Any dude in spandex and a cake is good in my book lol

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply Awesome :occasion14:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to determine the value of a find like this. In all likelihood, this could be your most valuable find yet, even more than 1783 CFT KGIII. When it takes more than a simple Google search to find comparable sales figures, you know you've got something special.
I've seen a few nice finds slip through the cracks over the last year or so that absolutely should have made banner, but didn't because they aren't flashy like a gold coin.

IP, I think that some people see GW Buttons, common gold coins, CSA Plates, etc. up top regularly, so they think those are automatic Banner finds and they vote accordingly. Finds like this are so rare that people just don't have any knowledge base to work with, so they see the thread and say "cool find" and move on. That's why it's so important for people like you and the handful of others who understand the rarity, and who have the verbal skills to articulate why this is such an incredible find, to explain it clearly to the less informed.

It's an interesting comparison to the 1783 because like counterfeit halfpennies Rev War plates have a very small collecting base who are willing to dig deep into their pockets, and if those guys are all out on an item the value falls off a cliff. I know the person who bought the 1783 and even though it was in fairly poor condition by his standards, he is one of the main ctft collectors in the US and thought it may be his only chance to get one. The plate also may be in an equal category of rarity, and no question a desirable relic, but it really comes down to how bad a certain few want it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also admire his ability to speak logically about these things. And his willingness to be honest wether people like it or not. Any dude in spandex and a cake is good in my book lol

And I don't make exceptions, like telling you yesterday how bad you messed up that buckle! :) Has that sunk in yet? :laughing7:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing rare find. You should be very proud to have dug such an incredible relic from our countries history. I've personally given up on the banner system - seen too many banner worthy finds get passed over. Regardless my vote is going in!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To find something of that rare, (Could not find one that sold in the last years) and significant of are country's past would blow me away! Coins are great, but that is what got me into this hobby. Congrats Hogge!!
My banner vote is going in once I get to the computer.
Now go find the other stuff that has to be around there.
George

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
To find something of that rare, (Could not find one that sold in the last years) and significant of are country's past would blow me away! Coins are great, but that is what got me into this hobby. Congrats Hogge!!
My banner vote is going in once I get to the computer.
Now go find the other stuff that has to be around there.
George

I wasn't able to find any comps for this in recent sales. Has anyone found one?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't able to find any comps for this in recent sales. Has anyone found one?

I highly doubt you will. It's obviously a good relic, but unfortunately the rarity doesn't play as much of a role in driving the price up like coins do. Just seems to have a much lower ceiling in general than coins.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
That's true. If another has been sold, it's likely private party and not published.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question that occurs to me right away is - given the rarity of this Revolutionary War British cartridge box plate , and that it
doesn't seem to be listed in the book/s - how did you have any idea what you had found ??

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I don't make exceptions, like telling you yesterday how bad you messed up that buckle! :) Has that sunk in yet? :laughing7:

Yes I got it buddy. I screwed up shoe buckle #17. Thank god I contacted an expert before dealing with my PTS 8-)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a while since I typed this word...

BANNER.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread