🥇 BANNER REV WAR British 31st ROF Grenadiers Cartridge Box Plate!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REV WAR British 31st Grenadiers Cartridge Box Plate....UPDATE

Always dreamt I would find one of these. After about an hour, at the first virgin hole in over a year, me and my brother in law had some luck. Hits were everywhere. A toasted Draped Bust LC, a 1848 LC, buttons and .....THE PRIZE! I knew right away what I had, just couldn't believe my eyes. As I flipped out and screamed to Rich to get over to me, he said....."Ya got silver?" Nope....."Ya got Gold?" Nope......BETTER!!! Then I noticed the 31. There were a lot of prisoners from the 31st taken at Saratoga. Looked for about 15mins for the "GR" with the pin pointer but couldn't locate any of it. FINALLY!!!! After 2 years I have something decent to post! Definitely going back. What a day. Enjoy Hogge Update: I guess it's ok to blat it out now............Made W&E Treasures Magazine Best Finds of 2015. Second time for me. Made it back in 2009, with my Rev War Royal Artillery Belt tip from 2008. They told me last week. Did anyone else find out they made it?? Hogge

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 649
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 505
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 645
  • image7.JPG
    image7.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 475
  • image8.JPG
    image8.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Upvote 64

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HODGGE WHAT A HELLUVA FIND . MAN THAT THING IS SWEET AND FROM THE REV WAR IS PRICELESS .... BBBB BANNER FIND ..

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
The question that occurs to me right away is - given the rarity of this Revolutionary War British cartridge box plate , and that it
doesn't seem to be listed in the book/s - how did you have any idea what you had found ??

He may have seen one similar, in person or in reference. Hogge has spent many, many years studying the movements of troops throughout Western Mass, Eastern NY, Southrn VT and Northern CT, especially the captured troops which moved through the area after the Battle of Saratoga. When I find something I think might be Revolutionary War but I'm not sure, he is one of the people I rely on ID my finds. I can't guarantee that he is right 100% of the time (although he might :laughing7:), I certainly hold his opinion in very high regard.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question that occurs to me right away is - given the rarity of this Revolutionary War British cartridge box plate , and that it
doesn't seem to be listed in the book/s - how did you have any idea what you had found ??
This reply will be of no disrespect to you Argentinium, but this is how I knew.............In Don Troianis book, Buckles Buttons and Badges of The American Revolution, (which I own and coincidentally have a relic pictured in there I found), I see MANY examples of British box plates. I've referenced it, and studied it hundreds of times. After I had found the belt tip in 2008, I decided to really study up on Rev War stuff so that if I found something I could ID it. So IMMEDIATELY I knew what I had found. As regards to the rarity of this plate I can only tell you, and will reference to, IP's posting of possibly being the only 31st ROF Grenadiers box plate known. British Regiments,(or Battalions), consisted of 10 companies, with 38 men in each. 8 were line infantry with 1 light infantry and 1 grenadier company. The grenadier company was "The" Elite troops of that Regiment. They were the largest and strongest men of the regiment. They were most commonly used as assault troops. They also carried sabers as their sidearm, so to speak, whereas the light infantry troops carried axes, and line infantry bayonets. I knew it was a box plate, from the 31st,(obviously), but didn't know about the grenadier connection until I researched in the book. So.....as regards to it's rarity.....I have 1 of the box plates, from only 38 men, out of 380, in the British 31st ROF. I believe, most of the "line and light infantry" box plates had a crown on top. ONLY the ELITE Grenadiers of the Regiment had the "Flame" on top. So as IP stated, and I also now believe, it's probably the ONLY, 31st ROF Grenadiers box plate known. That's why you cannot reference a pic or auction estimate of one. There is an example of a 21st and a 60th in Troianis book though. Research and knowledge, along with several VERY knowledgeable people on T-Net, will show you "The Promised Land"! I hope that answers your question. Hogge

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
This reply will be of no disrespect to you Argentinium, but this is how I knew.............In Don Troianis book, Buckles Buttons and Badges of The American Revolution, (which I own and coincidentally have a relic pictured in there I found), I see MANY examples of British box plates. I've referenced it, and studied it hundreds of times. After I had found the belt tip in 2008, I decided to really study up on Rev War stuff so that if I found something I could ID it. So IMMEDIATELY I knew what I had found. As regards to the rarity of this plate I can only tell you, and will reference to, IP's posting of possibly being the only 31st ROF Grenadiers box plate known. British Regiments,(or Battalions), consisted of 10 companies, with 38 men in each. 8 were line infantry with 1 light infantry and 1 grenadier company. The grenadier company was "The" Elite troops of that Regiment. They were the largest and strongest men of the regiment. They were most commonly used as assault troops. They also carried sabers as their sidearm, so to speak, whereas the light infantry troops carried axes, and line infantry bayonets. I knew it was a box plate, from the 31st,(obviously), but didn't know about the grenadier connection until I researched in the book. So.....as regards to it's rarity.....I have 1 of the box plates, from only 38 men, out of 380, in the British 31st ROF. I believe, most of the "line and light infantry" box plates had a crown on top. ONLY the ELITE Grenadiers of the Regiment had the "Flame" on top. So as IP stated, and I also now believe, it's probably the ONLY, 31st ROF Grenadiers box plate known. That's why you cannot reference a pic or auction estimate of one. There is an example of a 21st and a 60th in Troianis book though. Research and knowledge, along with several VERY knowledgeable people on T-Net, will show you "The Promised Land"! I hope that answers your question. Hogge

Again, that's why I ask him :headbang:

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oxbow!!! Where ya been? Too bad about those fields being out of bounds now.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Oxbow!!! Where ya been? Too bad about those fields being out of bounds now.

I moved up to Vermont. I'm in Newfane now. I haven't gotten out as much I as used to, but I've found a few good sites up here. If you saw the pre-Rev War bayonet up on the banner last spring(under username KindleFarmers), that was found at my school by one of my coworkers and her students.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable find. I like everyone else am learning on this item. It that style the one they called the "Flaming grenade" ?

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , If I had to put it all in a word I guess I would choose research ! This must be a Banner find .
(I certainly don't feel disrespected in any way by a very well educated response like that )

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable find. I like everyone else am learning on this item. It that style the one they called the "Flaming grenade" used by Grenadiers ?
Yes TN. Only 10% of a Regiment were grenadiers. Wish I could have found the "GR" lettering. Spent quite some time looking for them. Maybe a little more time will be spent when we visit the site next. Would like a complete example.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a tremendous find! The British occupied Newport, RI for three years during the Rev. War, and I've only managed to find a single pewter button (38th Regiment) over years of hunting. Finding any type of regimental Rev. War plate appears very near to impossible, but you've done it! :notworthy: This is a great make up post for your two years hiatus from posting. After this find, you could take off the next 20 years! Banner vote is in, and I hope some of the discussion in this thread gives your significant find the recognition it deserves. By the way, the book "History Written with the Pick and Shovel" provides a wealth of information on the recovery of Rev. War artifacts in the early 20th century. Will you go back to search for the missing parts of the badge. I would sift the exact area where it was recovered. Such a find would be worth the effort.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find Hogge.
Heck when you say first find in two years worth posting.....Your not kidding...awesome !

As for the votes, I see IPS's point you'll not get the votes simply because most people just don't know about it, and it's not "as pretty" as a gold coin.

Nice finds, and good luck out there on that site. As long as you're geting one non-ferrous every fifteen minutes or so you still have a big chance.

Voting now.

TheRelicDoctor

Oct 16, 2015
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Minelab GPX 4500, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an incredible find! Looking at the pictures and reading these posts really gets the blood pumping! I'm a revolutionary war buff myself and can only dream of a recovery like that :notworthy:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I've taken the instruction and educated myself on this find. I'm beginning to appreciate the true rarity of this relic, the very special place in history it has, and the research and persistence that led to its discovery.

Happy to be learning, thank you for sharing this with us. And Banner.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are the type of finds I never see turn up in the UK. Defending the Empire meant most of it was lost over seas. Great find, & near impossible to repeat.

I'll trade you LOL

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I moved up to Vermont. I'm in Newfane now. I haven't gotten out as much I as used to, but I've found a few good sites up here. If you saw the pre-Rev War bayonet up on the banner last spring(under username KindleFarmers), that was found at my school by one of my coworkers and her students.

What's the back story on the fields being out of bounds? It just seems like the more popular this hobby gets, the harder it is to find a place to detect. I think many landowners and homeowners are afraid of giving one person permission because they will be besieged with others looking to hunt there. Just wondering what happened in your case oxbow.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally awesome :notworthy:

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know where, or when, the last one of these plates was posted?? On this site or any other? Just any Rev War Box Plate will do. Searched, but not extensively. Can't locate any. Not looking for a belt plate. A cartridge box plate. Hogge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions