What's new

Revisiting Ike

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, for an unknown reason, I purchased $40.00 of Ikes. I opened a new bank account today and asked if they had any halves. They said no, but had two brown handrolled large dollars. So, I said yes, I will take them.

I had several of the 1776-1976 version plus various 1970s dates. Most had no mintmarks; those that did were "D." I found one website online that stated the coins were worth about $1.15 each. I could see where the copper had worn thru on the rims, so I doubt I have any silver.

Anyone holding on to Ikes? Pearls of Wisdom?

Ordered first box of halves today; Ordered my first Red Book Saturday.

:icon_sunny:apush
 
Upvote 0
They are worth it IMO to save and possible sell on ebay later on.

I hear there are some people already who are paying around 2 dollars per coins for them.
 
I save them all!

HH
-GC
 
I got $ 135 bucks in Ikes last week. I dumped them real easy at work for face value. My book said some of S mint marks are silver clad. I had no S mint marks. People are excited about Ikes that have little interest in con collecting. I spent 4 of them for lottery tickets and know the liquor store owner likes them. I will get more Ikes if I can. I know they will spend easy. Ikes don't look like good movers on E-bay unless they are silver clad or are proof in a sealed container.
 
Grab all you can - if you can afford to. If you can afford to keep the good ones, keep them; someone will probably get a kick out of them in the future. I grab any Ike I can find, and save anything that is not to cruddy. No one (except me) knows where they are, but I am going to pass them to the little guy one day. If they're worth a buck, that's fine. If they're worth more, that's fine too.

If I get a an Ike that's kinda cruddy, I just use it on one of my unauthorized (anyone married understands what I mean) trips to the fast food joint. The cashiers enjoy them.

Happy hunting. As long as you're having fun, you're doing OK!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom