REVOLUTIONARY WAR BAYONET?

zzdust

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bayonet.jpg

This was found on what I am tentatively calling Braddock's Trail near Pittsburgh, along with a musket ball (1/2" - lead, with white oxidation).

Certainly appears to be a bayonet but no images on the Internet match up with it. Curiously, inside the fluted end are what appear to be screw threads, which seems odd if not rare for this time period.

Any help with this?

Thanks!

Dusty

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe what you have is a lightning rod finial. I took some very similar ones off the roof of my barn a while back.

OP
OP
Z

zzdust

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BAYONET???

I believe what you have is a lightning rod finial. I took some very similar ones off the roof of my barn a while back.

Yes! I think you are right...The similarity to a bayonet is amazing - but your idea just seems to make more sense - a million thanks! (sorta...)

darn.

OP
OP
Z

zzdust

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! I think you are right...The similarity to a bayonet is amazing - but your idea just seems to make more sense - a million thanks! (sorta...)

darn.

Yep - a quick Google Image search confirmed your astute observation!

tx

zz

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net and the lightning rod is still a cool find. Maybe a good area finding that round ball too. Good luck.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where there is a lighting rod a barn or house once stood I would pound that area hard to see what else may turn up HH and keep us posted if you go back out

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my thought is lightening rod too

OP
OP
Z

zzdust

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where there is a lighting rod a barn or house once stood I would pound that area hard to see what else may turn up HH and keep us posted if you go back out

Yes, shall do - interesting area. Local "hideout" for kids (found opened strongbox after a heist) - also a revolutionary war trail. Friend found a ceramic whiskey jug that same day, which was totally cool.

Will let you guys know...thanks again for the atta boy and the great info!

ZZ

OP
OP
Z

zzdust

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, TnMountains! You guys are the best...

zz

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could also be a field candle holder, that a soldier carried. Just stick in the dirt, insert candle, light & you're good to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread