Revolutionary War Button Found

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
Well this has been posted in the past and back then it was never identified. Someone did at one time say it was a French regimental button. But I recently recieved word that it was 100% for sure a French Regimental Button and they added a link to said buttons. I was able to match it to the correct style and there was a date that they were used. The date was between 1776 and 1781. Now the interesting part was the button was found with my old radio shack detector in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. It has taken around 6 to 7 years to get a proper ID to this old find. The region was British in the past and before that French territory, I never expected it to be so old. The weird part of the whole thing is finding this type of button in Wisconsin!

Attachments

• fancy button.jpg
    fancy button.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,926

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is in fantastic shape nice find :icon_thumleft: Good hunting

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Montana Fireball said:
Well this has been posted in the past and back then it was never identified. Someone did at one time say it was a French regimental button. But I recently recieved word that it was 100% for sure a French Regimental Button and they added a link to said buttons. I was able to match it to the correct style and there was a date that they were used. The date was between 1776 and 1781. Now the interesting part was the button was found with my old radio shack detector in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. It has taken around 6 to 7 years to get a proper ID to this old find. The region was British in the past and before that French territory, I never expected it to be so old. The weird part of the whole thing is finding this type of button in Wisconsin!
Wisconsin. Exactly.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find but without question much later than the Revolutionary War. It is French, but would not have an early Turret shank like the Rev War 18th century French. Also being domed like that is pretty solid evidence it's later.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
I would think a button with that much age an history would be quite valueable if ever sold.... I ammuse you still have the button....

Even if it was, French buttons aren't worth as much as British, and only a small fraction of the value of a good Loyalist or American button.

OP
OP
Montana Fireball

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
Iron Patch said:
Nice find but without question much later than the Revolutionary War. It is French, but would not have an early Turret shank like the Rev War 18th century French. Also being domed like that is also pretty solid evidence it's later.
Sorry but you are wrong, I would include the link, but not doing so will cause others to eventually do some researching on it themselves.

OP
OP
Montana Fireball

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
Iron Patch said:
creeper71 said:
I would think a button with that much age an history would be quite valueable if ever sold.... I ammuse you still have the button....

Even if it was, French buttons aren't worth as much as British, and only a small fraction of the value of a good Loyalist or American button.
What's the problem you're having the machine used?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Fireball said:
Iron Patch said:
Nice find but without question much later than the Revolutionary War. It is French, but would not have an early Turret shank like the Rev War 18th century French. Also being domed like that is also pretty solid evidence it's later.
Sorry but you are wrong, I would include the link, but not doing so will cause others to eventually do some researching on it themselves.

You can be sorry but I'm not wrong and you will eventually find that out. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Fireball said:
Iron Patch said:
creeper71 said:

What's the problem you're having the machine used?

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It definitely is a cool button, but considering Iron Patch is an expert on Revolutionary war buttons, he would probably know the correct identification. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
It definitely is a cool button, but considering Iron Patch is an expert on Revolutionary war buttons, he would probably know the correct identification. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

I'm definitely not an expert, but I don't have to be to know the answer to this one. If you mailed this particular button to an expert you would get a very short answer. :)

OP
OP
Montana Fireball

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
Like I said it was confirmed at another site, by another person who claimed expertise is this area. I guess there is lots of that going around. LOL
Can you provide documentation of the dates of use of this one?
Well I was typing this up as you posted what timing. :read2:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Fireball said:
Like I said it was confirmed at another site, by another person who claimed expertise is this area. I guess there is lots of that going around. LOL

Well that person is about as far from being a Rev War button expert as I am a professional short track speed skater, although I do try and dress the part. ;D

I'll post a picture in a minute.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what your button dates but it is well into the 1800s. Posting the back would help in dating it.

Attachments

• fr1.jpg
    fr1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,338
  • fr2.jpg
    fr2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,313

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It definitely is Different and with a later style. I can understand how one can get kinda upset when they think they got something finally identified, but than find more research that proves different.
It's always good to have 2nd opinions and it's good to have an experienced Detectorist like Iron Patch trying to help.

Nova Treasure

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea,but I take I.P.s info to heart.I have noticed that on nearly all of the "other",sites the lack of knowledge and self acclaimed experts is something to really laugh at.T-Net stands out as a gathering of some of the most knowledgeable folks around.
Its downright laughable on the verge of sickening some of the discussions and I.D. 's given on some of the top forums

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are NO, more knowledgeable people, on this site, than IP, and or, Don in SJ on this subject. The red flag for me was the condition of this dug button, and the convex shape. If you are looking for an "Expert" opinion, then e-mail Don Troiani. I have had the pleasure of viewing some of his collection at his home in Ct. I believe he even has an example of the 2nd French, (Champagne Regiment) in his collection. The previous pic that IP showed you, may even be HIS example. The button you have, could even be a re-enactors copy. If it is genuine, it's more than likely, lower to mid 1800's style. I have Tices Button Book, but it only covers American military buttons. There are some decent metal detecting sites online, but T-Net has the MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE. Nice find though. Regards Hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Montana Fireball said:

Well that person is about as far from being a Rev War button expert as I am a professional short track speed skater, although I do try and dress the part. ;D

I'll post a picture in a minute.
I'll bet you'd look good in a pair of skates! That's the pic I thought you were gonna post. ( and the one I was looking for :wink:) LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread