πŸ₯‡ BANNER Revolutionary War Loyalist Dragoon button?

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Long day with Donnie Bailey .3 sites and not a lot of targets.last site gave up the button on the lip of real old cellar.thought it was just a plain button but as I was scrubbing it at home in the sink, this guy on horse appeared.looks definitely like a 1700's button and I have never seen another one like this. Hoping it could be military (Dragoon Button ) ? Or just a civilian button? looks somewhat like the SC loyalist button.Any confirmation and variety would be appreciated.Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_4100.JPG
    100_4100.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 735
  • 100_4101.JPG
    100_4101.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 426
  • rev war dragoon 1.jpg
    rev war dragoon 1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 402
  • rev war dragoon  4.jpg
    rev war dragoon 4.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 335
  • rev war dragoon  5.jpg
    rev war dragoon 5.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 256
  • rev war dragoon 3.jpg
    rev war dragoon 3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 318
  • rev war dragoon  6.jpg
    rev war dragoon 6.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 363
  • Rev War dragoon 7.jpg
    Rev War dragoon 7.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Upvote 64

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Dave, Great Find!

Revolutionary period confirmed above. The fact that some have turned up in the UK isn't such a mystery. I don't know if all the Dragoons were as cruel as Banistre Tarleton and his men, but we do know that many loyalist families pulled up stakes and returned to the UK. Being a Dragoon or former Dragoon who committed atrocities would surely be lynched if still around after the war. The word about Tarleton's atrocities surely carried north like wildfire. Men like Tom Payne would have seen to that. I'm sure in the minds of many patriots a Dragoon is a Dragoon is a Dragoon!

Best wishes and keep the faith! Banner!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Dave, Great Find!

Revolutionary period confirmed above. The fact that some have turned up in the UK isn't such a mystery. I don't know if all the Dragoons were as cruel as Banistre Tarleton and his men, but we do know that many loyalist families pulled up stakes and returned to the UK. Being a Dragoon or former Dragoon who committed atrocities would surely be lynched if still around after the war. The word about Tarleton's atrocities surely carried north like wildfire. Men like Tom Payne would have seen to that. I'm sure in the minds of many patriots a Dragoon is a Dragoon is a Dragoon!

Best wishes and keep the faith! Banner!

thanks Phil!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats HMN, It's a real affirmation when the deserving are duly rewarded!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a beauty of a button....priceless!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, congrats on another well-deserved banner!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
holy smokes! thanks everyone!

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Nice button. Would love to see a creditable ID.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button. Would love to see a creditable ID.

Yes, I think this is the first BANNER that we don't know what it's ID is....lol:laughing9:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What the heck is going on Dave... you made BANNER #8 without finding a GW Button? :laughing7:
Just kidding buddy, great find, nice to see you back up top! :occasion14:

Dave

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gone for a week and come back to see so many new Banner's. It's just astonishing to see so many. I guess this is why you take the long hikes into the woods and mountains. I'm glad it has paid off for you once again. Congrats on an awesome relic recovery and another Banner. SD

PS. I took up this hobby a couple of years ago. When not doing research on my computer, I would find myself on youtube watching metal detecting videos. Thiltzy1 was one of the first channels I watched. You guys have pulled some wonderful relics out of the ground. Things that I could only dream of finding. Best of luck to you and your fellow hunters.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!

Another amazing find.

WTG!!!

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Last edited:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there's something that should be considered here. Re the difference between gold washed, brass, silver and pewter buttons. Regiments could be formed and funded by Wealthy British patrons or institutions, presumably for a significant financial outcome. They uniformed and accoutered their men as they saw fit. Colonial conscripts would definitely not be as well uniformed as the regulars. We were just cannon fodder to them anyway.

A typical example of this system run amok would be the contenschous relationship between British Lords Raglan and Cartigan during the Crimean War. A regiment confounded by an argument over how your tunic was made and what kind of wine you consumed? Incredible and darned glad we didn't/don't have a system like that in our military. Who the heck wants to have a sweater named after him anyway?

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm gone for a week and come back to see so many new Banner's. It's just astonishing to see so many. I guess this is why you take the long hikes into the woods and mountains. I'm glad it has paid off for you once again. Congrats on an awesome relic recovery and another Banner. SD

PS. I took up this hobby a couple of years ago. When not doing research on my computer, I would find myself on youtube watching metal detecting videos. Thiltzy1 was one of the first channels I watched. You guys have pulled some wonderful relics out of the ground. Things that I could only dream of finding. Best of luck to you and your fellow hunters.
thanks for the kind words! Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love this button, i found this same button last year

Attachments

• IMG_0685.PNG
    IMG_0685.PNG
    447.8 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread