🥇 BANNER Revolutionary War Loyalist Dragoon button?

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Long day with Donnie Bailey .3 sites and not a lot of targets.last site gave up the button on the lip of real old cellar.thought it was just a plain button but as I was scrubbing it at home in the sink, this guy on horse appeared.looks definitely like a 1700's button and I have never seen another one like this. Hoping it could be military (Dragoon Button ) ? Or just a civilian button? looks somewhat like the SC loyalist button.Any confirmation and variety would be appreciated.Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_4100.JPG
    100_4100.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 750
  • 100_4101.JPG
    100_4101.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 427
  • rev war dragoon 1.jpg
    rev war dragoon 1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 403
  • rev war dragoon  4.jpg
    rev war dragoon 4.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 336
  • rev war dragoon  5.jpg
    rev war dragoon 5.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 257
  • rev war dragoon 3.jpg
    rev war dragoon 3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 319
  • rev war dragoon  6.jpg
    rev war dragoon 6.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 364
  • Rev War dragoon 7.jpg
    Rev War dragoon 7.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Upvote 64
OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• Rev War dragoon 7.jpg
    Rev War dragoon 7.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No one knows and anything that resembles an answer is speculation. It's an interesting mystery as many are dug in the UK and quite a few turn up in America too. Not all are the same either, which is another interesting factor. Loyalist makes no sense to me. (In the First book it was SC Dragoons - so clearly it's a best guess) Have never seen anyone dig one from this part of the world and myself and the people I know have been the main source of Loyalist military buttons being posted on here. And it's not like Loyalist (military) buttons turn up in any great numbers in the UK either.. they're actually pretty rare. Unfortunately explaining what I think it's not doesn't help any for what exactly it is... but unknown British is how I see it. Sort of the same idea as the Snake buttons... cool and sought after finds but no one seems to know for sure.
Thanks IP Don responded with this reply

Attachments

• Rev War dragoon 7.jpg
    Rev War dragoon 7.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 82

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great button Gary! I can’t get in a conversation with the heavy hitters on buttons, but I will say its construction is period & British, which can led itself to rev war. That’s it, that’s all I know. Let things pan out, I have a good feeling it will be rev war.

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks! yes he did!
Rev War period or just after is a given, but the reason or intent behind it, either military or civilian is still unknown - IMO.

However, I'm not trying to detract from this great button find, only put it in the context of what we know.

So, my congrats to you, but live with the mystery a little longer.:thumbsup:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the bottom line is, "expert" opinions aside, no one has ever proven either the pewter buttons or the brass ones to be military. We all assume they are 18th century due to context, which is true, and military. I personally think they were military used, but I doubt anyone will ever be able to "prove" it. There are several other buttons out there in the same situation, including the rattlesnake buttons. I dug a lot in Rev War sites and we never found either a rider on horse button or any rattlesnake variety.

That being said it is still an outstanding find.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the bottom line is, "expert" opinions aside, no one has ever proven either the pewter buttons or the brass ones to be military. We all assume they are 18th century due to context, which is true, and military. I personally think they were military used, but I doubt anyone will ever be able to "prove" it. There are several other buttons out there in the same situation, including the rattlesnake buttons. I dug a lot in Rev War sites and we never found either a rider on horse button or any rattlesnake variety.

That being said it is still an outstanding find.
Happy with that, we may yet get the answer, & it might surprise us all.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great button Gary! I can’t get in a conversation with the heavy hitters on buttons, but I will say its construction is period & British, which can led itself to rev war. That’s it, that’s all I know. Let things pan out, I have a good feeling it will be rev war.
thanks.Gary Who? My name is Dave lol

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks Cru!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IP Don responded with this reply

I think still speculation at best, and does not explain why we never have found one on Loyalist sites that spit out Rev War buttons, and why they turn up in the UK in such numbers... more than America. So did both the British and Loyalists use them? -- only way it would be explained being found in the UK. And if so, then how can they be labelled as solely being Loyalist Dragoons? I've owned some of these going back probably 15 years so have been familiar for a long time and have paid attention through the years. I remember this coming up not all that long ago and don't think Don was aware how many of these are dug in the UK... and maybe he still isn't and that's a factor in his opinion. I have no doubt he's basing what he says on what he knows and makes sense, but I really can't see it. You also have to keep mind when your book says that it sort of ties you to that position a little. :) There's not many things I'd argue against Don on, and I guess I'm really not... I'm just saying I don't know and i don't believe anyone else does either.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic button Dave, what a story it could tell. It would certainly clear up all the speculation. A lot of the Dragoon images I've seen have a rider with a sword over his head. I also have to agree with those that say the construction is the same as many civilian buttons of the period. How many tombac buttons do you have with the same boss on the back? Hopefully, you will get a reliable attribution.

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a fantastic find and in very good condition. Congrats

Top Member Reactions